A Little Perspective

Camden_yardbird

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

This thread has much more meaning when looking at guys who are struggling like Mullins, Martin, Wright, Bundy, etc. Or guys who are playing over their heads, like Villar or Mancini. 

Basically, anybody except Davis.

Agreed.    I plead guilty to sending this down the Davis rabbit hole.   That said, there are reasons to worry about the other guys you named based on past performance and/or how they’re looking.     

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.    I plead guilty to sending this down the Davis rabbit hole.   That said, there are reasons to worry about the other guys you named based on past performance and/or how they’re looking.     

It's easy to go down that rabbit hole at the moment.

Actually, I might strike Mike Wright from my list. I feel like we have a very healthy body of work from him. 

A guy like Mullins I'm willing to wait much longer to see if he normalizes to even a .250 type hitter. 

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

This thread has much more meaning when looking at guys who are struggling like Mullins, Martin, Wright, Bundy, etc. Or guys who are playing over their heads, like Villar or Mancini. 

It could be Mancini's break out season.  I know he can't keep up his current OPS but he could have a 30 home run 90 rbi season.  I think keeping him out of left field can only help his game.  

Just now, interloper said:

It's easy to go down that rabbit hole at the moment.

Actually, I might strike Mike Wright from my list. I feel like we have a very healthy body of work from him. 

A guy like Mullins I'm willing to wait much longer to see if he normalizes to even a .250 type hitter. 

Mullins definitely deserves deserves time to prove himself. It took Markakis until June to figure things out as a rookie.

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not really. Many guys are playing well and will continue to. Many dudes are poor and will remain.

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Davis = Steve Blass Disease

To me, this statement is a fact. There are probably literally hundreds of college and some high school players who could hit ML pitching better than Davis right now. This isn't steroids related unless they broke something in his central nervous system.

Mullins really is a different story. He is young and has a decent enough track record to believe that he will eventually be a serviceable hitter, even if only in a platoon. He needs some time.

Wright, ugh. I actually think his issues are mental too. Feel bad for the guy. Was hoping the new regime could get through. Maybe they still can. If not, he needs a change of scenery, at a minimum.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Probably not.   

It's not.  He is a topic of conversation but I think you could equally talk about any of the following about specific players or any of their indicative stats.

Mullins as a regular

Martin's chances

Hess is the real deal

Yacabonis and Means; openers, 1 inning guys, or DFAs.

Bundy's HR/FB ratio, a blip or a trend

Or any myriad of other topics more interesting than the worst statistical player in the game.

22 hours ago, weams said:

How old was Markakis? 

The thing about Markakis was, even when he wasn’t hitting he was having really good at bats.    As of June 13 when he hit a low point at .597 OPS, he was only striking out in 16.2% of his plate appearances but he was walking in 8.9% of PA.

I haven’t seen many of Mullins’ at bats, but he does have a similar walk rate in 2018-19 to Markakis, and while his K rate is higher (19.5%), it’s certainly not outrageous.    I’d be patient with him.    

Archived