Attendance 2019

Frobby

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

And that is paid attendance. it could be even worse. My friend who works for one of the teams said no way the Yankees had 37,423 for the Monday game against the Mariners.

All sports have more paid attendance than actual showing up attendance.

You can really see this at soldout NFL games, with open seats in the stadium and they all aint out at the potty or bar.

12 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Has anyone else cut the cable cord and thus dropped MASN?

Is MASN really a viable business model as more and more people dump traditional cable providers?

Was surprised that Manny and Harper got their deals... end of an era?

What about the Trout did.

There is still money to made.

I havent cut my cable.

Im old enough to remember paying $100+ a month for analog phone service, 2 decades ago. So moving that money over to my cable bill, makes the bill in my mind, more easy to not cause heartburn. That $100 a month, didnt count the 2nd phone line, so I can be online and not interfere with the family phone calls.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Attendance is down, because MLB hasn't come to terms with the fact, that Baseball is no longer Sport #1 in America.

Its been on the downhill slide for some time now.

So... attendance will stabilize or go up when MLB comes to terms with not being the most popular sport?

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So... attendance will stabilize or go up when MLB comes to terms with not being the most popular sport?

NAH.

MLB needs to fix things, in order to gain popularity back with the kids, or risk declining attendance as we baseball fans get older.

Personally, the owners and the players are making way too dang much money, and we support that.

Just like the public made Avengers Endgame the highest grossing people in box office history.

41 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

What about the Trout did.

There is still money to made.

I havent cut my cable.

Im old enough to remember paying $100+ a month for analog phone service, 2 decades ago. So moving that money over to my cable bill, makes the bill in my mind, more easy to not cause heartburn. That $100 a month, didnt count the 2nd phone line, so I can be online and not interfere with the family phone calls.

MASN is the only thing that is keeping me from cutting cable tv. If I could subscribe to MASN and stream over Apple TV, etc., I would cut the cord yesterday. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

MASN is the only thing that is keeping me from cutting cable tv. If I could subscribe to MASN and stream over Apple TV, etc., I would cut the cord yesterday. 

I would still keep my cable. I get Digital TV (DVR and 5 TVs), alarm, phone, and Internet and under $300 a month.

I dont see me cutting the cable.

I appreciate the fact that i can get MASN from my cable provider.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Haha. The good old days when top players made 100k. Guarantee you that attendance figures are way up over the good old days.  Football has been considered the #1 sport since the 70's. Hasn't seemed to hurt too much.  More money than ever. More people paying to watch than ever.

check the demographics, the younger kids are not watching the game, nor are they even playing the game, like they did when even my son was playing ball.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Has anyone else cut the cable cord and thus dropped MASN?

Is MASN really a viable business model as more and more people dump traditional cable providers?

Was surprised that Manny and Harper got their deals... end of an era?

In the court case documents I read yesterday, among the reasons MASN gave for not paying a dividend last year were (1) upcoming contract renewal negotiations with Comcast and DISH, and (2) possible loss of revenue due to cord-cutting.   I read mixed things about the health of the TV sports industry, depending on the day.    Disney just sold its RSN’s to Sinclair for what was regarded as a low price. But MLB recently signed its new TV packages and did very well.   

Just now, Frobby said:

In the court case documents I read yesterday, among the reasons MASN gave for not paying a dividend last year were (1) upcoming contract renewal negotiations with Comcast and DISH, and (2) possible loss of revenue due to cord-cutting.   I read mixed things about the health of the TV sports industry, depending on the day.    Disney just sold its RSN’s to Sinclair for what was regarded as a low price. But MLB recently signed its new TV packages and did very well.   

I know last week, DirectTV was fighting A&E channel over renewing and the shows were begging viewers to call their cable provider and complain.
Cable companies want higher rates and cable tv stations want lower rates, as they have to pay multiple cable companies.

I know 2 of my 4 kids have cut their cable, but when ask what they pay for netflix, hulu, roki and amazon a month, and how that cuts into what they think they are saving for cutting the cord, Not to mention, keeping internet, they agree not that much.

31 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

NAH.

MLB needs to fix things, in order to gain popularity back with the kids, or risk declining attendance as we baseball fans get older.

Personally, the owners and the players are making way too dang much money, and we support that.

It's an issue, not a risk.  

And there's a sure way to bring down salaries: do nothing, let baseball's popularity further wane, and the revenues won't support the salaries.  Salaries don't drive costs - revenues drive salaries.  Management sets prices, more-or-less, to maximize revenues.  As they always have.  In 1925 management tried to maximize revenues and profits.  In 1875 management tried to maximize revenues and profits.