Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me it looks like he has decided the lack of walks is a fatal flaw and is looking for evidence to support his opinion.

I don’t think he’s opining that Mountcastle will have the same fate as these players; I see his remarks as more of a word of caution about getting overly enthusiastic.   And some of those guys walked a lot more than Mountcastle, even if they didn’t walk a ton.   

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not John, but my guess is he's pointing out other players who were 10th of 19 with wRC. Just a guess though. If so, he's essentially saying something along the lines that Mountcastle's numbers look better than they are because of the elevated offensive environment.

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Mountcastle continues to fail to draw walks. Hit a home run and and an RBI double in his first two at-bats tonight. Third consecutive game with a home run and fifth in nine games.

I saw he had three K's the other night.  Maybe he was working on his walk game?

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gabriel Guerrero: .722 OPS in 230 AAA games at ages 22-25 (.586 at age 22).

Nick Williams: .800 OPS in 244 AAA games at ages 22-25.  (.714 at age 22.)

Zach Walters: .784 OPS in 427 AAA games at ages 22-27.  (.545 at age 22.)

Moises Sierra: .763 OPS in 459 AAA games at ages 23-29.

Granting that AAA numbers are way up this year (+.080 average OPS compared to 2018), I really don’t see a comparison here.   Perhaps if Jon reads this he can elaborate.    He mentions Mountcastle is “one of the younger 1B in the International League,” but I think he’s underselling that.   Mountcastle is 4.9 years younger than league average and among the top 100 hitters in the league he’s 5th youngest.

I concur with your first point - I don't see Mountcastle being at all similar to those others.  

While he is somewhat young for AAA, the average age for AA is skewed HEAVILY by older organizational type players to the point that the average age is pretty much irrelevant.  It's pretty clear that he's not going to make the adjustments to draw more walks while he's in the minors.  We need to see if he can make those adjustments in the majors, and the longer the O's put off sending him to the majors, it seems logical - the longer it will take for him to adjust.  

What is the overall consensus here for Mountcastle being a September call up?

I actually don't think Elias will do it for service time reasons, although he would never ever say it publicly.   But is that the general consensus?

18 minutes ago, Aglets said:

What is the overall consensus here for Mountcastle being a September call up?

I actually don't think Elias will do it for service time reasons, although he would never ever say it publicly.   But is that the general consensus?

No room with Davis and Trumbo.

I don't think he gets the call but I'm not sure it will be service time related.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No room with Davis and Trumbo.

I don't think he gets the call but I'm not sure it will be service time related.

Aww, you think Trumbo will be able to play in an MLB game this year?    I didn't take you for the nostalgic, starry-eyed optimist type.   ;)

I have no doubt he will try.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

While he is somewhat young for AAA, the average age for AA is skewed HEAVILY by older organizational type players to the point that the average age is pretty much irrelevant.

Well, I did also mention that among the league’s top 100 hitters, he’s the fifth youngest.    The other four:

Bo Bichette, .806 OPS in the IL and now with Toronto.

Luis Robert, 1.002 OPS for the White Sox affiliate in 34 games following promotions from A+ and AA.

Austin Riley, 1.057 OPS in the IL and now with the Braves.

Willi Castro, .817 OPS with the Tigers’ AAA affiliate.

Archived