Baseball America article about O's past/future international effort

interloper

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Most likely if they don't start signing 16 year olds until next off-season Elias will be gone by the time any of them are playing on the Orioles. 

I don't understand why Mom and Dad (Weams and Tony?? :-) continue to allow you to eat at the adults table.  Trolls should play with the children and speak when spoken to.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I don't understand why Mom and Dad (Weams and Tony?? ? continue to allow you to eat at the adults table.  Trolls should play with the children and speak when spoken to.

Try using the ignore function, the only way to try and keep your sanity here.

45 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't understand why Mom and Dad (Weams and Tony?? ? continue to allow you to eat at the adults table.  Trolls should play with the children and speak when spoken to.

LOL.  I am a troll thinking a 16 year old signed in 2020 won't be with the Orioles while Elias is still GM.  Say the 16 year old is all world and comes up when they are 22. That would be 2026.  That is 7 years from now. How many Orioles GM's have been with the team 7 years. I think you are the troll 

5 hours ago, interloper said:

You misinterpreted what I was saying. I meant the reason the O's haven't signed these guys is not because they're not being allowed to spend the money, it's because they haven't built the relationships with the players. 

And I am saying that in at least some of these cases brute force application of money could change minds.  Now is it possible that type of activity is frowned upon by the community at large?  Sure.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If the owners expected a ground-up rebuild to follow your template, and not Elias'.  That seems a little unlikely, but I could be wrong.

I am not sure what your point is. I said that by the time the 16 year old prospects are signed it is likely Elias won't be with the team anymore. I didn't say there was anything wrong with the plan as you have to start somewhere.  I just don't think any person he signs will help the team while he is the GM.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

My big question though is whose rebuilding plan does atomic believe the owners expect Elias to follow?

Atomic genuinely seems to think that most people should be expecting the Orioles to rebuild according to his own agenda and not use the actual words and track record that Elias has said to them and in public.  That level of hubris is actually kind of fascinating to me.

I think you have a lack of reading comprehension.  No where did I say it was wrong to sign 16 year old's out of the Dominican Republic.  I said by the time they would help the team Elias is probably not going to be around. I believe the last GM to last more than 7 years was Hank Peters and that was 32 years ago. I think Elias is the 10th Orioles GM since then.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I am saying that in at least some of these cases brute force application of money could change minds.  Now is it possible that type of activity is frowned upon by the community at large?  Sure.

I agree with this. It’s very hard to believe that relationships for all of the top players are so good that an extra $100k offer by the Os will be ignored. Part of the reason Koby is supposed to be a great hire is because of his roots there. I’m sure we have a gentleman’s agreement with the Indians, but most prospects are probably not off limits. We should get several mid-high ranked guys this year, even if several are out of our reach.

15 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I agree with this. It’s very hard to believe that relationships for all of the top players are so good that an extra $100k offer by the Os will be ignored. Part of the reason Koby is supposed to be a great hire is because of his roots there. I’m sure we have a gentleman’s agreement with the Indians, but most prospects are probably not off limits. We should get several mid-high ranked guys this year, even if several are out of our reach.

Elias has already said that is unlikely we sign any of the top prospects this year. Who knows how it works over there.  For all wee know the teams are paying guys under the table.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I am not sure what your point is. I said that by the time the 16 year old prospects are signed it is likely Elias won't be with the team anymore. I didn't say there was anything wrong with the plan as you have to start somewhere.  I just don't think any person he signs will help the team while he is the GM.

I'm quite sure Elias will (or perhaps already has) acquired players who will help the team while he is GM.  Dwight Smith Jr.?  He will probably draft someone next month who is in the majors in a couple years.

Oh, Lee MacPhail was here for eight years.

Hank Peters for 12.

Roland Hemond for eight or nine.

Duquette was here for seven or eight.

53 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm quite sure Elias will (or perhaps already has) acquired players who will help the team while he is GM.  Dwight Smith Jr.?  He will probably draft someone next month who is in the majors in a couple years.

Hank Peters for 12.

I am not sure what Dwight Smith Jr or next draft has anything to do with 16 year old's who will be signed starting in summer of 2020. 

I said the last 10 GM's.  I guess Roland was here 8  years and DD was here 7.   If a player signed  at 16 in 2020 got here in 2026 at 22 Elias would be here 8 years which seems the max anyone has stayed here in the last 32 years.  So the odds are he will be gone by the time this pays dividends. 

53 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Hank Peters for 12.

I guess the tenures have been shorter in the Angelos era, though Duq did last 7 seasons.   And who knows how patient the sons will be.

On an intellectual level, we all know this rebuild will take several years.   But let’s assume the O’s finish in a distant last place the next three years and attendance is down to a million a year or less.    A lot of rank and file fans will be calling for Elias’ head, I guarantee it.   And the sons may get itchy, no matter what they discussed with Elias before he was hired.   

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I mean, yeah, that's kind of how it works. I'm not sure what your point is. Any GM who signs 16 year olds, there's a chance he won't be with the team by the time they would be ready for the big leagues. There's plenty of GMs that would, though, too, if they're having success and ownership likes them.

The important thing is that he fixes the systematic problem the Orioles have with the international market. Whether or not he's here for the ML debut of guys Koby Perez finds is neither here nor there.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I think you have a lack of reading comprehension.  No where did I say it was wrong to sign 16 year old's out of the Dominican Republic.  I said by the time they would help the team Elias is probably not going to be around. I believe the last GM to last more than 7 years was Hank Peters and that was 32 years ago. I think Elias is the 10th Orioles GM since then.

Shoot. I can’t even remember when Peters was the GM. 

Archived