I'm worried about this team....

Brion McClanahan

1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

The O’s built their entire model on homeruns and felt to be successful thats where they needed to pump their money. I dont blame them for the signings at all, I blame them for the idiocy of the contracts and mismanagement of the rest of the organization.

I think all of baseball learned around the same time that without PEDs that long contracts are dumb. Unless, you’re locking up your young players and buying out their first 2+ FA seasons. 

Homers, a dominant bullpen, and a good manager only got us so far. Now we’re just devoid of pitching talent. We keep trying to dip down to AAA but those guys aren’t even 4A talent level. 

Keeping Buck and DD would have been just using a rake. Hiring Elias and tanking is the backhoe we needed. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, atomic said:

I have no fear of the Royals finishing worse than us.  This team is destined for worst record in baseball.  1-7 in last 8 games.  162 game seasons tend to put you at your level.

I would think not...I mean the worst team in 50 years should certainly not be challenged within the same season.  The real shocker is that somehow there are 9 teams behind the worst team ever.  That is simply amazing

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Funny how Jones, Beckham, Schoop, Manny, Brach, Gausman, Pearce, Miller, Cruz, and Britton are all doing well. 

We chose to pay the old, one dimensional, players like O’day, Hardy, Trumbo, Davis.  Plus tack on huge reaches/bargain hunting like Ubaldo, Gallardo, Cashner, and Cobb. 

Not starting this debate for the 100000000th time but no reason we should have tied up so much money into 1B and DH, when we could’ve gotten by with Christian Walker/Mancini/Pearce/Valencia/Alvarez/Seth Smith. Some combo of them. Instead we’re paying damn near 40 million a year for not a single hit from Davis and Trumbo this year. 

Ding. Ding. Ding. Winner! 

24 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about this.

That what you guys said last year with the Royals.  Then the Royals finished 11 games better than us.  I see the same situation this year.  We are below replacement level WAR now with Mancini and Villar playing over their expectations.  This team will be the worst in the league unless they have some additions. This team is much worse than the team that won 47 games last year. I am not sure why everyone is in such denial. 

11 hours ago, Barnaby Graves said:

This is advanced OH posting.  It usually takes thousands of posts and dozens of Fangraphs articles read to get to this level of cynicism.  You're this site's number one prospect, basically.  Granted, not everyone ends up a Can of Corn.  You could be a Moose Milligan, showing those flashes of brilliance but then posting something human that isn't the most depressing thing you've ever read in your entire life.  You could be a total bust like Frobby, who is still a complete person despite watching the Orioles for like 40 years.  That said, I have a lot of faith that if you work at it, you'll have a long career of making Matt Riley and Omar Daal references.  Even at your floor you should be able to reference the time Jack Cust fell down in at least one post per year.

You really need to @Moose Milligan and @Can of Corn to get their true sentiments more rapidly but you, my friend, are not one of the true prospects here, alas!  But I commend you for speechifying and raising the glass!  ?  I do love your posts, however!  *sigh*  #mancrush 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

That what you guys said last year with the Royals.  Then the Royals finished 11 games better than us.  I see the same situation this year.  We are below replacement level WAR now with Mancini and Villar playing over their expectations.  This team will be the worst in the league unless they have some additions. This team is much worse than the team that won 47 games last year. I am not sure why everyone is in such denial. 

There are more teams other than the Royals this year that will be competing for the worst record in baseball.  This isn't denial to think that the O's have a shot to not have the worst record this year.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I would think not...I mean the worst team in 50 years should certainly not be challenged within the same season.  The real shocker is that somehow there are 9 teams behind the worst team ever.  That is simply amazing

It was that fluky 4 game winning streak we had.  We won't have to worry about silly things like that the rest of the way.  

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with our offense and defense early this season.  But the pitching is beyond even my expected terribleness.  This pitching staff alone will ensure we lose 110 games at least.  

I think it is saying a lot that the worst team in baseball last year(don't know why they have playoffs to decide that) is doing better than us. I think that the Red Sox are just on a hot streak right now but we really need to step it up against them this weekend and put them in their place.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Everyone?    I think almost all posters know that the team is awful.    They are certainly less talented than the March-July Orioles of 2018.   Maybe not less talented than the August/September version.   But that March-July team grossly underachieved, so it's possible this team will win more than 47 games despite being a less talented team.

Archived