Keegan Akin 2019

ChuckS

6 hours ago, Spl51 said:

There's no arguing with the pessimists. I've had this argument like 10 times.

To be fair, I'm not sure the argument is really about actual value as so much as it is about how much value we could've gotten. Schoop is a good player who had a terrible time of it in a short sample in Milwaukee who is, not so surprisingly, performing close to career levels this season (1.0 WAR so far). I really don't think it's unfair at all to criticize the trade. Perhaps from both sides. 

18 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

You mean the trade that sent Schoop (.6 WAR since the trade and making 8.5M this year) for Villar (2.0 WAR since the trade and making 2.6M this year) + Ortiz and Carmona. 

Not sure that Villar's WAR thus far should be considered much of a factor.  He was basically added to be a guy to play 2nd base during the rebuild.  His production last year and this year really means little to us.  Now if we can stick around and be a contributor during our first year of contention or 2 that may change my mindset a bit.

All in all I didn't think that trade was all that bad as I don't think Schoop had very much value.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Not sure that Villar's WAR thus far should be considered much of a factor.  He was basically added to be a guy to play 2nd base during the rebuild.  His production last year and this year really means little to us.  Now if we can stick around and be a contributor during our first year of contention or 2 that may change my mindset a bit.

All in all I didn't think that trade was all that bad as I don't think Schoop had very much value.

Last year, Schoop had one month of OPS higher than .700 — luckily for us, it was the month we traded him.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Currently Akin ranks tied for 5th in IP and tied for 4th in strikeouts in the IL.   Among 36 pitchers who have started at least 5 games, Akin ranks 6th in ERA, 6th in WHIP, 13th In K/9.

Which, for context, is essentially "very good" for AAA, but not dominant. 

I randomly saw that Luke and Jon Shepherd had some back and forth on twitter about Akin the other day. Seems like his profile might be improving (Luke's more recent observations) over what Shepherd saw/heard (which seems like older observations). So hopefully he's still trending in the right direction.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Last year, Schoop had one month of OPS higher than .700 — luckily for us, it was the month we traded him.

Which only proves that some times, some teams, do make trade decisions based on the most recent sample, even small samples.  Doesn't mean teams discount past performance (such as Mancini's first half last season), just that they may place some more stock on the most recent performance (Mancini's second half last year and start of this year).  Especially when there may have been a short term mitigating factor to a short period of poor performance (Mancini running into a wall and injuring his knee).

Schoop was an example of that last year, to Milwaukee's detriment.  As I'm obviously getting to, Mancini could be an example this year.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Which only proves that some times, some teams, do make trade decisions based on the most recent sample, even small samples.  Doesn't mean teams discount past performance (such as Mancini's first half last season), just that they may place some more stock on the most recent performance (Mancini's second half last year and start of this year).  Especially when there may have been a short term mitigating factor to a short period of poor performance (Mancini running into a wall and injuring his knee).

Schoop was an example of that last year, to Milwaukee's detriment.  As I'm obviously getting to, Mancini could be an example this year.

Well, it should be noted that Schoop had a 4-year track record before 2018, and his hot July was merely moving his season numbers back in the general direction of his career numbers.    Schoop was a career .751 hitter going into 2018, and that hot streak got his OPS for 2018 up to .720, whereas he’d been mired down at .587 at the end of June.   If I’d been the Brewers, I’d have been expecting the .750ish Schoop, not the 1.056 OPS version he was in July.    But what they got was the April-June version.   

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Which, for context, is essentially "very good" for AAA, but not dominant. 

I randomly saw that Luke and Jon Shepherd had some back and forth on twitter about Akin the other day. Seems like his profile might be improving (Luke's more recent observations) over what Shepherd saw/heard (which seems like older observations). So hopefully he's still trending in the right direction.

Fair to say that he projects as a 4th starter?  He's continuing this season in AAA what he did last year in AA.  And it helps that he's a lefty.  Seems to me he should be the next guy up to Baltimore.  

21 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Fair to say that he projects as a 4th starter?  He's continuing this season in AAA what he did last year in AA.  And it helps that he's a lefty.  Seems to me he should be the next guy up to Baltimore.  

The OH's prospect write-up says he'll slot into the back of the rotation. If the velocity is up since then, maybe he has the upside of a #3? Just my guess. Seems like a very useful arm to have in any case, even if he isn't the guy that you ride through the post season.