The Baserunning Thread, 2019

Frobby

7 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Villar is #1 in baseball in Fangraph's baserunning metric.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=18,d

The outs can look bad but how many extra bases has he taken? 99 runs scored in an unexciting offense.

This is hard to fathom. 

20 hours ago, SteveA said:

How are there only 25 posts in this thread?

I'd be shocked if the Orioles haven't made at least 100 bad baserunning plays this year.

According to bb-ref the Orioles lead the league in Outs on the Bases with 55.  But the spread between 1st and 15th place is just 17 outs.  So the O's are only 10 outs, or maybe three runs worse than average.  And in overall baserunning/stealing runs they're +1 compared to an average MLB team.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2019 at 2:41 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Has Jonathan Villar's baserunning improved at all in this still very young season ???

If I recall correctly, he had gotten some grief over a couple of questionable baserunning decisions/blunders, but he is also 6-for-7 in stolen base attempts (I'm assuming that the one time that he was officially caught stealing was one of the blunders/questionable decisions that he was criticized for.)

Last year he stole 35 bases while being caught only 5 times, good for an 87.5% success rate.

o

o

ALMOST 5 MONTHS LATER ........

Villar being more Practical On the Bases

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/villar-being-more-practical-on-the-bases.html

o