Brady Anderson no longer listed on O's website

interloper

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...regardless of what we think he has (or hasn't) been involved in the man has no relevant qualifications on his resume to be a GM. None. 

What are the relevant qualifications to be a GM?  I know that recently it's become more common to hold a degree or three from an Ivy League school.  But there are still successful GMs who had different paths to their job.  Billy Beane was a poor MLB player, turned scout, then GM, and I'm not sure he even has a degree.  Brian Cashman was a college baseball player who never played professionally and got a degree in history.    The Mets' GM, Brodie Van Wagenen, was a agent when he was hired.  He had no front-office or professional playing experience at all and a degree in communication.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Philip said:

I have been annoyed with the company beats for years for exactly that reason. They can’t ask difficult questions and when it’s pointed out to them they get angry.  They aren’t serious journalists.

How hard is it for even one of the beat writers to do actual journalism?  More often they are just acting as stenographers for whatever the approved conventional wisdom happens to be at that moment, and then they sass fans on Twitter for daring to question any aspect of the team's direction.  It's bizarre almost.

I’m just glad this topic will finally be closed.    And by the way, there were several people arguing that Brady staying was a sign that Elias wasn’t in full control.    So much for that argument.   

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What are the relevant qualifications to be a GM?  I know that recently it's become more common to hold a degree or three from an Ivy League school.  But there are still successful GMs who had different paths to their job.  Billy Beane was a poor MLB player, turned scout, then GM, and I'm not sure he even has a degree.  Brian Cashman was a college baseball player who never played professionally and got a degree in history.    The Mets' GM, Brodie Van Wagenen, was a agent when he was hired.  He had no front-office or professional playing experience at all and a degree in communication.

I would imagine that most (even those without Ivy League degrees) worked their way up the ladder. Maybe served as a scout or possibly coached for a bit. And while II personally do think having a college degree is a realistic starting point for interviewing candidates I think it's even more important that they have relevant experience. Brady was basically handed the keys to the kingdom and given some important title and then a year later promoted and given an even more ridiculously important title with no prior experience because Peter Angelos liked him. 

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just glad this topic will finally be closed.    And by the way, there were several people arguing that Brady staying was a sign that Elias wasn’t in full control.    So much for that argument.   

Agree with this and I think if it's true it also confirms most of our suspicions. If Brady was such a good influence / useful resource then Elias would have found a place for him within the organization. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Agree with this and I think if it's true it also confirms most of our suspicions. If Brady was such a good influence / useful resource then Elias would have found a place for him within the organization. 

I don’t necessarily see it that way.   Elias wants his own crew in there, and Brady’s not his guy, just like Rajsich, Graham and others weren’t.   Obviously Elias didn’t see him as indispensable.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

https://herosports.com/mlb/30-gms-went-to-college-cashman-dipoto-dombrowski-coco

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do we know for certain that he is gone?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’d put the odds at 99%.     No reason to take him off the website if he’s still there.    

When it's official they'll make some kind of announcement. Don't you think Rosenthal would be on this if it were a done deal

Archived