Oriole All-Star 2019

HowAboutThat

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Philip said:

One might think this is a little bit early, but it’s never too early to talk about good things, so, If we assume we’re only getting one all-star this year, is it:

1) Means

2) Smith

3) Mancini

4) Someone else?

Davis.

I'm not joking, think about it.

I always ask myself "If this guy had a two or three week slump, would selecting him as an All Star seem ridiculous?"

By that rule the O's don't have anyone. There are only a handful of Orioles for whom a bad three-week slump wouldn't jeopardize their Major League careers.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I always ask myself "If this guy had a two or three week slump, would selecting him as an All Star seem ridiculous?"

By that rule the O's don't have anyone. There are only a handful of Orioles for whom a bad three-week slump wouldn't jeopardize their Major League careers.

You know I’ll bet every single guy on the 25 man roster gets on his knees every morning and thanks our Lord that the team is bad enough that he has a chance. Everyone knows he’s just around until they find somebody better, and with this team, finding somebody better is pretty easy.

Just now, Philip said:

You know I’ll bet every single guy on the 25 man roster gets on his knees every morning and thanks our Lord that the team is bad enough that he has a chance. Everyone knows he’s just around until they find somebody better, and with this team, finding somebody better is pretty easy.

Cobb would hurt himself if he tried that.

You could add Villar.  I don't understand the rule every team has to have an all-star.  We aren't deserving. I don't think having Means or Villar on the team is going to make anyone more likely to watch the game. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In the vast majority of cases the team doesn't get to pick who they send.

The selections of the reserves( except for the final vote guy)are made by the manager, who in this case will be Joey Cora. I think the only rule is that he Needs at least one person from every team.

Just now, Philip said:

The selections of the reserves( except for the final vote guy)are made by the manager, who in this case will be Joey Cora. I think the only rule is that he Needs at least one person from every team.

I heard that one year (2011?) the selecting manager gave Buck the choice of which of two players to send.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

You could add Villar.  I don't understand the rule every team has to have an all-star.  We aren't deserving. I don't think having Means or Villar on the team is going to make anyone more likely to watch the game. 

I don’t think Villar is an all star. I think he’s a solid player, and his virtues are magnified because our team is so bad,  but I don’t think he’s an all star. The same can probably be said for Smith as well.

Means might well be a real all-star, however. He’s come out of nowhere, he’s doing Very well, He would be a valuable part of every contending team, and he is the kind of feel-good story that makes the AS game special.

He’d be my choice.

Archived