Carter Stewart Ops for Japan

Can_of_corn

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Will be curious to see how it plays out.  The ESPN article says he's going to make more in Japan than he could this year after not signing with the Braves last year.

Seems smart.  Either he doesn't pan out and gets 7M or he does and hits free agency a few years early.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seems smart.  Either he doesn't pan out and gets 7M or he does and hits free agency a few years early.

Yep, I'm into it.  And he plays against lesser competition.  If he dominates there, he could be in for a big payday when he's ready to be an international FA.  

This could have a domino effect and find others taking this route.  I wouldn't be surprised to see MLB attempt to find a way to make it less likely moving forward. How? No idea, but this Stewart situation could be setting a dangerous precedent for MLB. 

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

This could have a domino effect and find others taking this route.  I wouldn't be surprised to see MLB attempt to find a way to make it less likely moving forward. How? No idea, but this Stewart situation could be setting a dangerous precedent for MLB. 

Could speed up move toward international draft. MLB slaps a ridiculous threshold to age out of the draft. Players under 28 must enter the league through international draft process or something like that. 

6 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Think there is a limit to how many players Japan can post per year. That will keep the numbers from getting crazy I would imagine.

3 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Think there is a limit to how many players Japan can post per year. That will keep the numbers from getting crazy I would imagine.

Stewart isn't going to get posted when the contract is over, he'll be a free agent.

Of course they could theoretically post him before that happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived