MLB Draft Primer: The First Round

Luke-OH

5 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

RE: Hunter Bishop...

Wouldn't wood vs. aluminum be a part of this?  Still impressive, but just wondering.

Edit: Great work, obviously!  Love reading your perspectives.

The BBCOR bats aren’t supposed to provide any more rebound off the bat than wood. The sweet spot is bigger though. Watch the bat speed through the ball, remembering that he’s a strong 6’5”, it’s really not too surprising he hits the ball that hard.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good stuff, Luke.  Appreciate you taking the time to compile all this.  

Obviously it's hard to say who'd be there for us to take in round 2 but are there 3-4 names you'd be stoked for the Orioles to take that could be there?

Based on Mocks, it’s possible Seth Johnson slips. But the more likely names include McConnell, Jameson, and Goss

20 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Who has the most upside of the guys who you think could slide to 41? 

Seth Johnson, I think he’s the best pitcher in the draft. Misner and McConnell also have big upside, both have hit tool concerns that if they can solve are all-star types. I think McConnell’s is more solvable and this have him ranked more highly. Some guys who didn’t quite make this list with big upside are Keoni Cavaco, Gunnar Henderson, Blake Walston, Rece Hinds, Antoine Kelly, Spencer Jones 

44 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Seth Johnson, I think he’s the best pitcher in the draft. Misner and McConnell also have big upside, both have hit tool concerns that if they can solve are all-star types. I think McConnell’s is more solvable and this have him ranked more highly. Some guys who didn’t quite make this list with big upside are Keoni Cavaco, Gunnar Henderson, Blake Walston, Rece Hinds, Antoine Kelly, Spencer Jones 

I have a few questions about Hinds: Do you think he has the most raw power of any high school player? Do you know if he’s singable (my recollection is he has a LSU commitment)? What position do you think he can play adequately? 

Thanks for all the work on this. I enjoyed the article.

38 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I have a few questions about Hinds: Do you think he has the most raw power of any high school player? Do you know if he’s singable (my recollection is he has a LSU commitment)? What position do you think he can play adequately? 

Thanks for all the work on this. I enjoyed the article.

He does have the most raw power of any of the HS plays, it’s not out of the question that he could stick at 3B. He’s probably signable in the top 50 of so picks. He’ll need some real adjustments to hit in pro ball, it’s a risk/reward type pick.

Great job as usual Luke.  It's really appreciated.  As a Razorback fan may I ask your opinion as to where a couple Hogs may land in the draft.  Starting pitcher Isaiah Campbell and Closer Matt Cronin.  I've seen mocks of them going late first to middle second round.  Any opinion?

1 hour ago, rudyrooster said:

Great job as usual Luke.  It's really appreciated.  As a Razorback fan may I ask your opinion as to where a couple Hogs may land in the draft.  Starting pitcher Isaiah Campbell and Closer Matt Cronin.  I've seen mocks of them going late first to middle second round.  Any opinion?

I’m not as high on Campbell as some, I’ve seen him as high as 30. I’m more late 2nd to 3rd around similar arms like Alec Marsh, Grant Gambrell. Both of those guys have a little more raw stuff but aren’t quite as polished.

Haven’t placed Cronin, relief only is tough to judge, but he’s easily one of the top 5 relief only dudes and maybe 2nd behind Jacob Wallace.

14 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Luke, I think I found a draft crush outside of your list but he’s high on others so I’m interested in your thoughts. 

Is he throwing that 2seam fb movement something Quinn Priester can repeat? He looks a bit like baby Soroka to me. 

He’s on my list, unless I made an editing mistake.

Yeah, 25th, I could be low on him, but I’m ok with having him as my 3rd prep arm behind Malone and Goss. I prefer guys who really get down the mound but need to add strength over super easy guys who have more physically mature bodies, that’s the reasoning for Goss.  Malone is similar to Priester but has more present stuff.

3 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I need more song in my life:

Is it plausible that Noah Song is available at 41?

Very plausible, perhaps likely. He might need to serve his Navy commitment before fully starting pro ball. 

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Yeah, my mistake you have him at 25, that seems a range that could get him to 41, but perhaps not enough money there to keep him from TCU.

If it wasn’t for all the multiple pick teams, maybe you could buy him to 41, but that won’t work with the D’Backs, Braves lurking. He’s going to go well before 41.

16 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Is Logan Davidson still worthy of a top 50 pick? Before the season it seemed he was a potential top 10 guy. 

The kid Song looks filthy.

Davidson was just off this list, I’m questioning how much he’ll hit, but after you get 40-60 range the power and sticking at shortstop with a track record in a top conference starts looking really good. 

Archived