There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The comp pick would be 1-2.  If you don't sign a pick that pool money is lost.

What happens the following year?  Worst case scenario in 2020, the O's have 1-1 again and 1-2 comp pick.  How does that affect the amount of pool money?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question about over slot under slot. Are they allowed to approach a particular draft pick and say, “will you sign for x?”

And the guy can answer, “no, I want full slot value +10%” or something like that?

Another words, are they free to negotiate before the actual pick?

And does this take place with all of the potential choices? It sounds pretty crazy, when you consider that at, say, the 41st pick, they have no idea who will be available.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

All the draft does is assign your major league rights to a team for a set period of time. You don't have to sign a contract with anyone. Rutschman could sign with the Saint Paul Saints or the Fukuoka Hawks if he wants to. Or go work for Home Depot.

If you don’t sign with the team that drafted you, and the signing period Expires, I’m sure you could go on to college, which probably happens with a lot of high school guys, what about the older guys?Do you go through the draft again the next year, or are you a free agent and you can sign with anybody?

The gifs at the beginning of this thread are amazing. I will be totally upset if we don't take AR. He is a no-brainer. You are going to get value out of him. Don't make this harder than it is. There is way more risk for all the other guys. 

If it's Witt, I think I'll live. Anyone else, I'm off the Elias train. 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have a question about over slot under slot. Are they allowed to approach a particular draft pick and say, “will you sign for x?”

And the guy can answer, “no, I want full slot value +10%” or something like that?

And does this take place with all of the potential choices? It sounds pretty crazy, when you consider that at, say, the 41st pick, they have no idea who will be available.

I believe the answer to these questions is yes. Teams have a good idea what guys would sign for prior to the draft. It's why studs drop to the teen rounds. Every now and then one actually ends up signing though.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Sure.  And they do.  That is how you get seniors signing for 10K in the sixth round.

Just now, jtschrei said:

The gifs at the beginning of this thread are amazing. I will be totally upset if we don't take AR. He is a no-brainer. You are going to get value out of him. Don't make this harder than it is. There is way more risk for all the other guys. 

If it's Witt, I think I'll live. Anyone else, I'm off the Elias train. 

Isn’t “Schrei” the German word for “scream”?

cool name.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I wonder how much Rutschman Knows about Baltimore the city, and Baltimore the team, and whether he actually wants to be here. When my grandfather was in the Navy, way way back when, he was assigned to the USS New York, and before he reported, he was expected to know everything there was to know about the city of New York and about the ship.

Has anyone ever publicly announced that he does not want to be drafted by a particular team? “If I am drafted by X team I will not sign because I don’t want to go to that city or play for that ownership.”

Is that even permissible?

It's permissible to SAY anything you want.   But his only leverage is going back to OSU for his senior year and turning down $7+ million.   Would anyone believe him?

In football, John Elway did that to Baltimore.   Eli Manning sort of did it to San Diego (don't know if he publicly announced it before the draft).

Colts traded Elway for a center (who did eventually go to a Pro Bowl, but a C is still <<< a QB in terms of NFL importance) and a few other spare parts.

Chargers traded Manning to the Giants.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Well, not drafting anyone with questionable social media. 

Is it really that important?   I know what happened with Hader last year, and I guess Trea Turner too.

But did that really have any effect on their careers?   A PR guy wrote some apologies for them and they moved on.   And I think any GM in baseball would try to get either one of those two guys on their team today if the opportunity presented itself.

Archived