2019 3rd round pick (79): Zach Watson - CF - LSU

3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I expect some slot savings here.  I think if we had offered him slot that he would have signed already.

A brain fart above.  Wasn't this guy our first pick and the first pick of day 2?  We should know his number, it is likely a savings to slot, and one that we kept from Henderson and his agent.  

I guess we will know soon, but it is possible AR and Watson open up about $400k-$600k in slot savings to go after one of the late round HSers.

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Serious question:  would you rather sign this guy, or have him turn us down and use the savings to sign Pedersen or Zmarziak?  

It doesn’t work that way.  If Watson doesn’t sign, we lose his bonus slot altogether and get a compensatory pick in next year’s draft instead (I believe it would be the 2nd pick of the 3rd round).  We can’t just use his entire bonus slot to sign the late round high school guys.  Only whatever savings is left over from other under slot signings.

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Serious question:  would you rather sign this guy, or have him turn us down and use the savings to sign Pedersen or Zmarziak?  

there are no savings. And everyone would rather have Zmarziak  

Someone told me he was a 3 million dollar sign. 

18 minutes ago, weams said:

there are no savings. And everyone would rather have Zmarziak  

Someone told me he was a 3 million dollar sign. 

But why is he going to Maryland if he is such a great player?!? I am super flummoxed with the Zmarzlak situation. Maryland hasn't produced a first round draft pick since 2002 and has produced a total of 3 5+ WAR players ever (Eric Milton, Tom Bradley, and Brett Cecil), with Brandon Lowe likely to be fourth. 

52 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

But why is he going to Maryland if he is such a great player?!? I am super flummoxed with the Zmarzlak situation. Maryland hasn't produced a first round draft pick since 2002 and has produced a total of 3 5+ WAR players ever (Eric Milton, Tom Bradley, and Brett Cecil), with Brandon Lowe likely to be fourth. 

This is some shaky logic here.

If you want to illustrate a school’s impact on a player’s outcome as a pro you at least need to factor in the total number of players who were drafted out of HS but chose to go to the school.

Does a big program increase the individual player’s chances of being a high draft pick or productive mlb player?

Or does the big time program get more good players, thus increasing their total number 1st rd picks and 5+ WAR players.

48 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

This is some shaky logic here.

If you want to illustrate a school’s impact on a player’s outcome as a pro you at least need to factor in the total number of players who were drafted out of HS but chose to go to the school.

Does a big program increase the individual player’s chances of being a high draft pick or productive mlb player?

Or does the big time program get more good players, thus increasing their total number 1st rd picks and 5+ WAR players.

Either way, the resulting conclusion is the same. Maryland doesn't have a track record of being a very good baseball school and thus it is weird for a top high school baseball player to choose to attend Maryland. He is not from the area, I am just curious why he chose Maryland.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I thought this guy said likely no slot savings on Watson.  Now he's suggesting at least 280K?  Or is this a different guy?  Or maybe he digs my logic on this one?

Let me find where he said that. 

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I thought this guy said likely no slot savings on Watson.  Now he's suggesting at least 280K?  Or is this a different guy?  Or maybe he digs my logic on this one?

He is here all the time. So you must have convinced him.

• Haha 1