Elias J2 International Orioles

interloper

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Arizona, Texas, and Yankees have invested heavily and are the source of most international players in the league.

Detroit, Milwaukee... they’re garbage on the international front.

Right, they invested heavily.

That isn't the mark of an unfair system, that is the mark of team putting in the work and getting rewarded.

Do you think Detroit and Milwaukee are somehow less attractive than say Cleveland?  Or they simply not doing as good a job?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, they invested heavily.

That isn't the mark of an unfair system, that is the mark of team putting in the work and getting rewarded.

Do you think Detroit and Milwaukee are somehow less attractive than say Cleveland?  Or they simply not doing as good a job?

This isn’t a question that can be answered.  We don’t know exactly what motivates players to sign where they do. Money is obviously a huge one. Some of it is “I wanna be a Red Sox like Big Papi”. For Ohtani it wasn’t money, he just liked Anaheim. Yankees certainly have a lot of pull due to their legacy and familiarity. How many Cubans pull up in Miami for family and community? How are Rust Belt teams affected by being unattractive cities? Does cold weather affect Toronto?

In a draft system, Ohtani posts and is probably a Tiger right now. Or stays in Japan.

Turn around that question on the Rule 4 draft and ask if we should just have a free for all on college players.

8 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This isn’t a question that can be answered.  We don’t know exactly what motivates players to sign where they do. Money is obviously a huge one. Some of it is “I wanna be a Red Sox like Big Papi”. For Ohtani it wasn’t money, he just liked Anaheim. Yankees certainly have a lot of pull due to their legacy and familiarity. How many Cubans pull up in Miami for family and community? How are Rust Belt teams affected by being unattractive cities? Does cold weather affect Toronto?

In a draft system, Ohtani posts and is probably a Tiger right now. Or stays in Japan.

Turn around that question on the Rule 4 draft and ask if we should just have a free for all on college players.

With everyone spending the same on player contracts?  Sure.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you know that at one point Puerto Rico was exempt from the draft?  When it was added to the draft we went a good long while without any impact players coming out of Puerto Rico.

Imagine you are an owner of a ML team.  Does it make any difference to you if every team gets players out of the DR or if no team gets players out of the DR?  I'm going to say it doesn't make a difference to you.  As long as it even.

Imagine you are an owner of a ML team.  Why pay for an academy if there is a draft?  What's in it for you?  Just draft 20 kids and slap on your DSL team.

Imagine you are a Buscone.  Sure you are not a nice guy but a lot of kids would end up with nothing if it wasn't for your efforts.  If there is draft you need to find a new line of work, no profit for you in a draft.

Imagine you are a young player.  You know your whole family is depending on you.  You are smart enough to know you probably won't make it, that this signing bonus is the ticket for you and your family.  How would you like your free agency to be replaced with a draft position and a slot payment?

As a general guideline fans should be very suspicious of anything ownership pushes for.  We know they are not concerned with player welfare.

I am not tying to be an idiot here but with the bonus pool limits how much would a draft change things on the financial end? 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

With everyone spending the same on player contracts?  Sure.

If the Orioles offer the same ten contracts as the Yankees to the same players, how many pick Baltimore?

I think the answer is “none”. That’s why is think this doesn’t work.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

If the Orioles offer the same ten contracts as the Yankees to the same players, how many pick Baltimore?

I think the answer is “none”. That’s why is think this doesn’t work.

And then the Yankees are out of money.  Thank goodness more than ten kids play baseball.

BTW Brooks chose us, because he knew he would get an opportunity.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And then the Yankees are out of money.  Thank goodness more than ten kids play baseball.

BTW Brooks chose us, because he knew he would get an opportunity.

It doesn’t matter. You asked how it’s unfair and I’ve pointed out how teams can be at a competitive disadvantage that is out of their control. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

It doesn’t matter. You asked how it’s unfair and I’ve pointed out how teams can be at a competitive disadvantage that is out of their control. 

Right, can be.  Not is, your assuming something with supporting evidence.  Anyway no system would ever be completely fair.

5 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, can be.  Not is, your assuming something with supporting evidence.  Anyway no system would ever be completely fair.

I’ve got it.  How about just a 3 round draft.  Just for the top 100 or so players.

Keep the system the way it is for the rest of the players and roster construction.

Best of both worlds.  Accomplishes all goals.  Done.  Erybody hapy.

Won’t it be hard to spend our full allotment without getting any of the “top” prospects?  I’m assuming we have the most, just like the draft. After not signing anyone to 300k for awhile(at least I think), we’d have to sign like 25-30 players to 300k contracts to hit our limit. 

I see us spending 2-3 million. Which is a huge upgrade. I just think people might be let down. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Won’t it be hard to spend our full allotment without getting any of the “top” prospects?  I’m assuming we have the most, just like the draft. After not signing anyone to 300k for awhile(at least I think), we’d have to sign like 25-30 players to 300k contracts to hit our limit. 

I see us spending 2-3 million. Which is a huge upgrade. I just think people might be let down. 

Eight teams share the top pool size at -6.5M.  Not sure where you got your numbers from.

If they were only going to spend 2-3 millions Elias wouldn't have declared that he wouldn't be trading any slots.

And yes if they spend 3M  folks will be extra tired of listening to me.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eight teams share the top pool size at -6.5M.  Not sure where you got your numbers from.

If they were only going to spend 2-3 millions Elias wouldn't have declared that he wouldn't be trading any slots.

And yes if they spend 3M  folks will be extra tired of listening to me.

I was just assuming the top number was near that of the draft. I appreciate you’re knowledge. Haha. I’ve just never had a reason to look that number up before. 

My predictions:

We spend 2-3 million. We don’t sign anyone off some top prospect list, from some website, and people will be let down. Still 3 million would be an upgrade considering it’s our first year back in the market. Considering the new staff and relationship building. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was just assuming the top number was near that of the draft. I appreciate you’re knowledge. Haha. I’ve just never had a reason to look that number up before. 

My predictions:

We spend 2-3 million. We don’t sign anyone off some top prospect list, from some website, and people will be let down. Still 3 million would be an upgrade considering it’s our first year back in the market. Considering the new staff and relationship building. 

If you are correct why would Elias declare that he wouldn't be trading any slots this period?