The Silver Lining Report: Games 62-65 (Texas roundup)

interloper

Sorry, folks, it's pretty tough for me to get to these over the weekend sometimes. But let's do this!

Game 62

• David Hess: In the final game of the Rangers series, Hess actually pitched pretty decently. He goes 6 innings (good!), giving up 3 earned runs (not bad), and only gave up one dinger (alright!). 
  • Miguel Castro: He goes 2 scoreless innings with 3 Ks to be the only other Orioles pitcher in this one, and he's definitely into his next good stretch. Can he keep it up this time? 
  • ?Trey Mancini: He hits his 13th bomb, a solo shot in a 3-4 night. He has to be one of the steadier offensive players in the game so far this season. Dude is a machine!
  • Chris Davis: RBI double! Played RF for the first time in a long time. That's all I'll say about that! 
  • Chance Sisco: Double! And a walk. Threw out a runner at 2nd! Nice.
  • Stevie Wilkerson: Lined an RBI single to score Sisco. 
  • Dwight Smith Jr.: Terrific catch in LF - unfortunately it would land him on the bench with a concussion and shoulder pain. He avoids the IL, though. 
  • Hanser Alberto: 2 more singles! 
  • One run game: They were close and pitched pretty well. That's been a little bit of a trend recently, so definitely a silver lining. 

Game 63

• Gabriel Ynoa: On to Houston, where Ynoa starts the series by spinning the very minimum definition of a quality start - 6 IP, 3 ER. Folks were ready to give up on him, but I think he's going to be a fine fill-in guy in the rotation for basically the rest of the season.
  • The bullpen: Overall, a really nice job. Between Armstrong, Bleier, Givens, and Kline, the 'pen goes the rest of the distance in an 11-inning affair, giving up just the walkoff run. Kline would be optioned for a fresh arm afterward, but everyone else chipped away at their ERA. 
  • Anthony Santander: Filling in for the injured Stewart, Santander collected 2 hits including a double. 1.556 OPS! ;)
  • ?Chance Sisco: Home run! An opposite field shot and a nice compact swing. God I hope he hits up here. So far so good!
  • Rio Ruiz: A clutch 2-RBI single from our boy Rio. 
  • Fun fact: Alberto somehow does not collect a single, going 0-5. I don't know what to do with myself.
  • One run game: Once again, the O's play a contender into extra innings and come up just short. That's ok! It was a good game.

Game 64

• ?Andrew Cashner: Cash gets back on track, going 6 innings and giving up just the 1 run. No home runs and only 1 walk. Excellent outing.
  • Paul Fry: Gets the win in this one and goes 1.2 IP with 2 Ks for a clutch appearance. PAUL FRY. 
  • Miguel Castro: 4-out save! A low-drama outing as well. He's officially hot. 
  • Renato Nunez: A looooooooooooong solo shot. Good lord man. That's number 16, which is a lot of home runs y'all.
  • ?Richie Martin: Mr. late-game clutch hits another 9th inning bomb, a 2-run shot, to give the O's some breathing room. Wow! Hit a single too, just for funsies. 
  • Hanser Alberto: Back to his hitting ways, he actually collected an XBH in this one, a double! 
  • ?Anthony Santander: WEB-GEM ALERT. Went up to rob the crap out of a home run and then made a strong throw to double-up the runner at 1B. Goodness. Tony can play a little, man. Hat tip to Mancini at 1B for the stretch. 
  • Win against the Astros: The Astros were 44-21. After this they are 44-22, courtesy of the now 20-44 Baltimore Orioles.

Game 65

• Dylan Bundy: Good Bundy alert! 6 IP, 2 ER, 6 Ks. Look, Bundy is a junkballer now and he's finally starting to believe in that. His new pitch mix that started a few starts ago has turned around his season. ERA falls to 4.50. 
  • Evan Phillips: Eh, not bad. Allows 1 run, but it IS the Astros, and he gets 5 outs striking out 2. 
  • Hanser Alberto: Lol, this guy. 3-4, all singles. He's hitting .311.
  • Richie Martin: Collected a hit in this one and is up to what I believe is a season high .182 for him. 
  • Pedro Severino: Back in action and threw out a runner and took a walk. Nice to see. 
  • That's about it from this one!

Overall, played pretty tight baseball the last 4 games. I enjoyed myself. Enjoy the off day!

The Orioles have just done a turn through the rotation where all 5 guys pitched a quality start.  

Five quality starts in a row, for the first time all year.  And honestly, I won't have time to research until tonight, but I wonder if it happened last year at all.

Means game 61: 6 innings, 1 run against the Rangers.

David Hess: In the final game of the Rangers series, Hess actually pitched pretty decently. He goes 6 innings (good!), giving up 3 earned runs (not bad), and only gave up one dinger (alright!). 

Gabriel Ynoa: On to Houston, where Ynoa starts the series by spinning the very minimum definition of a quality start - 6 IP, 3 ER.

Andrew Cashner: Cash gets back on track, going 6 innings and giving up just the 1 run. No home runs and only 1 walk. Excellent outing.

Dylan Bundy: Good Bundy alert! 6 IP, 2 ER, 6 Ks.

That's 5 quality starts in a row (does the Hess one not count, due to the unearned run?)  I would imagine that it's been a long time to see 30 IP, 11R, 10ER in 5 starts.  Considering it came against the strong Astros and better than average Rangers I'm pretty happy.   Clearly the record is tough due to the 1 run loses, but I'm sure most would take that over blowouts.  Cautiously optimistic (but still want a high draft pick for next year... ;))

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

The Orioles have just done a turn through the rotation where all 5 guys pitched a quality start.  

Five quality starts in a row, for the first time all year.  And honestly, I won't have time to research until tonight, but I wonder if it happened last year at all.

I took too long writing and you beat me ?  I would wonder if it happened this year or last year.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles-team-stats?season=2019&category=PITCHING&group=1&time=0&pos=0&splitType=0&page=1

For the year: Cashner 6, Means/Bundy 4, Hess 2, Ynoa 1.  Since Ynoa just had his, there is no way they had 5 in a row before.

We'd have to look at the other Hess QS to see if they had a 4 in a row streak.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles-team-stats?season=2018&category=PITCHING&group=1&sort=2&time=0&pos=0&qual=0&sortOrder=0&splitType=0&statID=0

2018 they had a decent number, so maybe.  I'm not sure how to check without going through all the game records (not happening, sorry).  Looking at this, one thing surprised me.  Tillman had a QS last year.  I definitely would have put money against that.

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

Ironically, it happened almost exactly a year ago, June 5-9.

Cobb 6 IP, 1 ER

Bundy 7 IP, 0 ER

Hess 6 IP, 1 ER

Cashner 6 IP, 3 ER

Gausman 6.2 IP, 3 ER

In case you don’t know about this site:   https://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/StartingInfo.py?StartDate=3%2F15%2F2018&EndDate=10%2F10%2F2018&GameType=all&PlayedVs=0&Park=0&PlayerID=2

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ironically, it happened almost exactly a year ago, June 5-9.

Cobb 6 IP, 1 ER

Bundy 7 IP, 0 ER

Hess 6 IP, 1 ER

Cashner 6 IP, 3 ER

Gausman 6.2 IP, 3 ER

In case you don’t know about this site:   https://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/StartingInfo.py?StartDate=3%2F15%2F2018&EndDate=10%2F10%2F2018&GameType=all&PlayedVs=0&Park=0&PlayerID=2

Wow, thanks.

It happened that one time last year, and not at all in 2017.   The previous time before that was when we had 7 QS's in a row in August of 2016.

Too bad we only went 1-4 in this stretch!

Archived