Montanez heading to the show

Tony-OH

Ha, fair enough. He was a second rounder. I thought I read somewhere a week ago about him being a first rounder. But he still fits the same mold. Everytime he got a shot in the bigs, he failed until recently.

What are you talking about? Heading into this season, his OPS was probably in the 780-800 range in his limited ML at bats...His first few stints weren't great but the sample size was very small...Last year, in over 300 at bats, he had an OPS over 800.

He has also had much more success at AAA than Montanez has.

He also walks at a good rate.

The comparison isn't even close.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan Ludwick had success at AAA at age 23 and 24, posting a .912 and .927 OPS. Montanez at age 26 is finally posting a .900+ OPS at AA.

If it works, fine... but I'm not breaking out the good stuff to celebrate just yet.

I'm not either, but I'm just saying that giving the kid a shot isn't a bad thing.

What are you talking about? Heading into this season, his OPS was probably in the 780-800 range in his limited ML at bats...His first few stints weren't great but the sample size was very small...Last year, in over 300 at bats, he had an OPS over 800.

He has also had much more success at AAA than Montanez has.

He also walks at a good rate.

The comparison isn't even close.

Perhaps comparing them wasn't a good way to phrase it, but it happens with some players where they develop a little later on.

I just think the fact that some people think Montanez could have a future with this club as anything other than a 4th OF is ridiculous.

I mean the guy is winning the AA triple crown....performing better than Reimold and everyone else in the entire league. Why wouldn't he deserve this shot - because he's two years older? He was the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

crazier things have happened. And if he had Riemold's stat line for the year I'd be more inclined to agree that it's nothing to get overly excited about. but the fact is that he is dominating the league. absolutely crushing the same pitching Reimold is seeing, and no one will deny that.

Just curious...... I see everyone calling him "Lou".

Does he go by "Lou"?

His name is Luis, not Louis. I know they are similar names, but what does Mr Montanez like to be called?

I guess if he gets called to "the show"- he probably doesn't care what you call him.:D

I know a few guys with the name Louis- and they go by "Lou" for short.

I know 2 guys (both Hispanic) with the name of "Luis" and both are referred to always as "Luis" (pronounced Lu-wees), not "Lou" .

I mean the guy is winning the AA triple crown....performing better than Reimold and everyone else in the entire league. Why wouldn't he deserve this shot - because he's two years older? He was the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

crazier things have happened. And if he had Riemold's stat line for the year I'd be more inclined to agree that it's nothing to get overly excited about. but the fact is that he is dominating the league. absolutely crushing the same pitching Reimold is seeing, and no one will deny that.

I think Montanez deserves a shot, but not before Reimold.

Again Montanez showed no offensive ability for 3,200 AB's before this season. If you want to predict his future ML success based on the 400 AB's this season, go ahead. I'll take the 3,200 AB that say he can't hit.

Reimold has excelled at every level he's been at, Montanez hasn't. It doesn't seem fair that he gets the call first to me. Reimold has been much more impressive over a much longer period of time.

I'd rather see the potential LF of the future then the potential 4th OF of the future.

Just curious...... I see everyone calling him "Lou".

Does he go by "Lou"?

His name is Luis, not Louis. I know they are similar names, but what does Mr Montanez like to be called?

I guess if he gets called to "the show"- he probably doesn't care what you call him.:D

I know a few guys with the name Louis- and they go by "Lou" for short.

I know 2 guys (both Hispanic) with the name of "Luis" and both are referred to always as "Luis", not "Lou".

He goes by Lou this season. When I saw the roster on Opening Day, I asked him if there was a misprint since it said "Lou" instead of "Luis". He replied, "I thought I'd go with something different. I just hope the fans like it!"

So, yes, it's Lou.

He goes by Lou this season. When I saw the roster on Opening Day, I asked him if there was a misprint since it said "Lou" instead of "Luis". He replied, "I thought I'd go with something different. I just hope the fans like it!"

So, yes, it's Lou.

So his success this year comes with being called 'Lou' instead of 'Luis'... just hope the big club sticks with 'Lou'.

I don't understand the whole Reimold over Montanez thing. Worst thing that could happen here is that we find out Montanez wasn't cut out for the bigs. Better now than later, because once Reimold is up, it seriously limits Montanez's chances of ever being here. But how long can you ignore a guy who's about to get a AA Triple Crown? You either bring Reimold up now and forget Lou ever existed, or you give Lou two months to figure out if he's going to take advantage of his big opportunity or blow it. I don't think that's unreasonable since this club considers Reimold a prospect and Lou a "organizational player".

I'm extremely skeptical of Lou having long-term ML success. His career Mil OPS is .773. Maybe he finally figured it out this season, but I don't think this is the case. Before this season, Montanez had 3,200 Mil AB's that showed he can't hit. He has hit well in 400 AB this season. I'll put my money on the 3,200 AB that say he can't hit.

I actually Reimold would be more likely to have success if he was called up. His K:BB ratio is much better than Lou's this season, which makes me think he would have less trouble with ML pitching.

Just my 2 cents.

You can be skeptical all you want, but the fact is that he's getting an opportunity which could be his last and let's hope he makes you, Sports Guy and all, wrong. Also it doesn't matter what he has done 3200 bats ago, it's what he's doing now and that's flat out dominating AA ball and therefore get his shot!!! Maybe he's a late bloomer, it's not like it has never happened before. Go Sweeet Lou!!!

I think Montanez deserves a shot, but not before Reimold.

Again Montanez showed no offensive ability for 3,200 AB's before this season. If you want to predict his future ML success based on the 400 AB's this season, go ahead. I'll take the 3,200 AB that say he can't hit.

Reimold has excelled at every level he's been at, Montanez hasn't. It doesn't seem fair that he gets the call first to me. Reimold has been much more impressive over a much longer period of time.

I'd rather see the potential LF of the future then the potential 4th OF of the future.

I see where you are coming from and normally would agree.

But, this is an exception.

When a guy (Montanez) is having such a monster year statistically, you have to reward him.

Or else you risk demoralizing players throughout the organization who would look at this year and say "man, what do you have to do in this organization to get a shot/promoted".

Results have to matter.

If it is real close- promote the prospect that has higher expectations (ie Reimold in this case) but not when it isn't close statistically.

It's funny that the same people who wanted to give Moore, a former first round pick who struggled in the minors, a shot despite his awful performance this year don't want to give Montanez the same shot despite his near identical resume. The guy has earned the right to be on the O's this year more than any other minor leaguer, except for maybe Wieters.

Archived