Montanez heading to the show

Tony-OH

You can be skeptical all you want, but the fact is that he's getting an opportunity which could be his last and let's hope he makes you, Sports Guy and all, wrong. Also it doesn't matter what he has done 3200 bats ago, it's what he's doing now and that's flat out dominating AA ball and therefore get his shot!!! Maybe he's a late bloomer, it's not like it has never happened before. Go Sweeet Lou!!!

I hope he proves me wrong too. But I don't see it happening. But him becoming a productive starting ML OF would be almost unprecented I think.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can either Reimold or Montanez play CF? I'd love to dump Payton in a waiver wire trade, and have both of them up here.

LF - Reimold/Montanez

CF - Reimold/Montanez

RF - Markakis

DH - Scott

3B - Huff

I'll ask again. If Payton is owed two months worth of a $5 million salary, why not just eat it and release him?

I see where you are coming from and normally would agree.

But, this is an exception.

When a guy (Montanez) is having such a monster year statistically, you have to reward him.

Or else you risk demoralizing players throughout the organization who would look at this year and say "man, what do you have to do in this organization to get a shot/promoted".

Results have to matter.

If it is real close- promote the prospect that has higher expectations (ie Reimold in this case) but not when it isn't close statistically.

No its not...Its never an exception when you are a losing franchise and need to see what your future is.

There is nothing wrong with giving this guy a chance but not before Reimold.

Now, if the plan is to bring him up and not play him, then I would rather it be him than Reimold but the plan should be to play Reimold everyday at this point.

Can either Reimold or Montanez play CF? I'd love to dump Payton in a waiver wire trade, and have both of them up here.

LF - Reimold/Montanez

CF - Reimold/Montanez

RF - Markakis

DH - Scott

3B - Huff

Yes, I've seen him play all three outfield positions with the Baysox.

I hope Montanez gets some consistent playing time. Whether you think he deserved the callup or not it's nice to see the O's calling up a hitter or pitcher when they are about as hot as they can be. No excuses now if Montanez looks overmatched at the plate. He's hot as a pistol. The only excuse will be if Trembley doesn't get him consistent AB's. I hope DT doesn't give Payton more time than Montanez. Let's find out about this guy right away. IMO, he did deserve the callup over anyone else. The guy is on fire.

The problem is who plays CF. It doesn't appear that Montanez has played that much in his career of late. 32 games and 6 games in CF in 2007 and 2008 respectively.

I'll ask again. If Payton is owed two months worth of a $5 million salary, why not just eat it and release him?

Because maybe he will clear waivers and someone will offer something for him.

It sure is easy to eat someone else's five million dollars, isn't it. :P

Yes, he was a first round pick, but again he has shown almost no offensive ability in 3,200+ AB before this season. He's a 26 year old journeyman. Reimolds overall numbers are much better than Lou's.

Lou's ceiling is pretty much a 4th OF.

You and your 3200 AB's!!! Geez, let it go!! You must dream about those 3200 ab's!!

No its not...Its never an exception when you are a losing franchise and need to see what your future is.

There is nothing wrong with giving this guy a chance but not before Reimold.

Now, if the plan is to bring him up and not play him, then I would rather it be him than Reimold but the plan should be to play Reimold everyday at this point.

Totally agree here, I would only want Reimold up in a starting role. I believe AM said the same thing recently on an XM radio show.

If it turns out Montanez isn't going to be getting a lot of playing time, then my whole argument becomes moot.

Totally agree here, I would only want Reimold up in a starting role. I believe AM said the same thing recently on an XM radio show.

If it turns out Montanez isn't going to be getting a lot of playing time, then my whole argument becomes moot.

Of course, if Montanez isn't going to get the playing time either, why not just call up Terrero and have another option in CF?

Because maybe he will clear waivers and someone will offer something for him.

It sure is easy to eat someone else's five million dollars, isn't it. :P

Understood. But at this point, I'm just wondering if it might make more sense for the long run to just let him go, eat the remaining money, and give Reimold and Montanez ABs.

Just trying to think of taking ST pain (money eaten) for the LT health of the organization.

Yea. Just ask the Cardinals where they'd be without Ryan Ludwick. He's 30 and just this year put it together. Former first rounder. Career disappointment.

There's no harm in giving him a shot here.....just no pleasing some people.

Ludwick's minor-league OPS is .850. Over .075 points higher.

He also forced their hand with a 1.000+ OPS at AAA last year.

So...slight possible minor differences there.

Archived