The First Fifteen

Kaven5

Just now, AceKing said:

So you’re saying that everybody sucks and no one should trade with the Orioles.

Whether you are saying it or not, I truly believe that other MLB teams are going to be VERY Leary of trading for “Oriole Players” at this point.

Fool me once...

No. He's saying we got a pretty fair return for what we gave up.

11 minutes ago, AceKing said:

So you’re saying that everybody sucks and no one should trade with the Orioles.

Whether you are saying it or not, I truly believe that other MLB teams are going to be VERY Leary of trading for “Oriole Players” at this point.

Fool me once...

No. What I'm saying is they got back what they were supposed to on Manny,and the other deals were for poor or damaged players .  There was a time to trade Schoop, or Britton, or Gausman. But when they were traded was sub optimum. 

Also. in a group of eight pitchers two bad elbows is about right. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Philip said:

The only thing I can say when perusing this list is, thank god the guys who thought these were good acquisitions are gone.

the next pertinent wonder is how many of these guys will be around this time next year?

I mean I didn't expect to get a lot for the guys we traded, but DD was always quantity over quality

1 minute ago, andrewochs615 said:

I mean I didn't expect to get a lot for the guys we traded, but DD was always quantity over quality

Because teams weren't going to give up top quality prospects for what we were offering. People here had unrealistic expectations.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, weams said:

So was Andy MacPhail

But NOT, hopefully, Mike Elias...

And remember, Dan traded Zach Davies for Gerardo Parra, Which was neither quantity nor quality. The Brewers have been sending him fruit baskets ever since.

So, a year later (nearly), I think these deadline deadline deals are still a mixed bag. At the time, I thought the Manny deal was okay. I liked the Britton deal well enough and thought the Schoop deal was a good one. I, however, didn't like the Gausman deal at all. One year removed, I think the Manny deal is still okay. Diaz and Kremer look like they could be pieces and Bannon and Pop have an outside shot to contribute. The Britton deal was a huge bust and the Schoop deal was Villar and a shot with Carmona, but Ortiz is a bust. The Gausman, deal, however, is looking a bit better with Zimmerman's early returns.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

But NOT, hopefully, Mike Elias...

And remember, Dan traded Zach Davies for Gerardo Parra, Which was neither quantity nor quality. The Brewers have been sending him fruit baskets ever since.

I don't think quantity over quality necessarily has to be a bad approach. The trick is getting quality quantity; identifying the right players to target. A lot of the promise of Mike and Sig is that they will be better at getting the right players through the draft, trades, free agency, waivers, and international free agency. 

• Upvote 1

I also have these excel sheets for prospects that I follow and update almost daily. Feel free to bookmark if you want to follow. There is also a description of how we got them and the school they are from on the right. Hitters sorted by OPS, Pitchers sorted by ERA. Nifty place to compare all of our guys that I deem worth following.

Orioles Hitting Prospects

Orioles Pitching Prospects

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I don't think quantity over quality necessarily has to be a bad approach. The trick is getting quality quantity; identifying the right players to target. A lot of the promise of Mike and Sig is that they will be better at getting the right players through the draft, trades, free agency, waivers, and international free agency. 

Yes I agree totally. Quantity on its own is not necessarily bad. But The previous powers too often got neither.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:13 PM, Philip said:

The only thing I can say when perusing this list is, thank god the guys who thought these were good acquisitions are gone.

the next pertinent wonder is how many of these guys will be around this time next year?

It's unfortunate. And to rationalize it by demeaning the players  the Orioles traded is so "Oriole like". The organization couldn't have done worse if they tried to. That doesn't mean some of these guys acquired won't come around. Let's be honest and get in the real world. No excuses.

I am very much encouraged by the recent draft, though.

What about Encarnacion and Carmona?  You can’t get raw A ball guys and forget about them because they aren’t tearing up leagues. 

Dean Kremer lead the minors in SO last year. He was hurt to start the year but he’s getting back to normal. 

Dillon Tate was a former first rounder that the writing was on the wall that he profiled better as a reliever. So we tried him for a year as a SP and he failed. Big deal, we had to.

Zimmerman has had success in AA. 

Pop, Carroll, and Phillips were all relievers we were hoping to stick. MILB strictly relievers fail all the time. 

Cumberland is a backup C type. Well he’s doing backup C type things. Good OBP. LH. 

Rogers and Valera were basically stop gaps. IMO. Both taking up 40 man spots at the time.

Diaz is coming on. 

The only disappointment so far is the injuries and Ortiz, but Ortiz could still be a contributor  as a reliever. 

Machado, Brach, and Britton were rentals. What’s Gausman and O’day(with his $15 million) doing?

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1