2019-2020 International Signings Thread

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's why they signed.  Luis Ortiz is now the 8th-best starter in the organization.  On the Yanks his ETA would be 2026.  With the O's it's a week from Friday.

This made me chuckle but there's a lot of truth to this. Especially the fact that these guys are the first legitimate class of international guys who will be followed (by us on the board) much more closely than other intl class.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Why would they care?

Oh, I don't know, atomic.  Possibly because some of these kids could be turned off by what a dumpster fire this team has been over the past couple of years.  Sure, they all want to make money, leave the Dominican and play ball somewhere but that doesn't mean that another team like the one with the white interlocking N and Y on their dark blue hats is perceived as a cooler place to be.  And their money is just as green.

Ever think of that?    

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh, I don't know, atomic.  Possibly because some of these kids could be turned off by what a dumpster fire this team has been over the past couple of years.  Sure, they all want to make money, leave the Dominican and play ball somewhere but that doesn't mean that another team like the one with the white interlocking N and Y on their dark blue hats is perceived as a cooler place to be.  And their money is just as green.

Ever think of that?    

By the time they get here the Orioles might be good. I think most of these players are very poor and are happy to be getting the big signing bonus.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

This made me chuckle but there's a lot of truth to this. Especially the fact that these guys are the first legitimate class of international guys who will be followed (by us on the board) much more closely than other intl class.

It's absolutely true that Brooks Robinson says he signed with the O's in the mid-50s because they were not deep and they were not good, and so they offered a direct path to the majors.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

It's absolutely true that Brooks Robinson says he signed with the O's in the mid-50s because they were not deep and they were not good, and so they offered a direct path to the majors.  

It's absolutely true.  

But I'd almost rather have the kids that aren't concerned with the least amount of competition because they know they're good.  I guarantee that Jassssssson Dominguez kid that the Yankees just signed does not give a crap about the Yankees depth and a direct path to the majors.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's absolutely true.  

But I'd almost rather have the kids that aren't concerned with the least amount of competition because they know they're good.  I guarantee that Jassssssson Dominguez kid that the Yankees just signed does not give a crap about the Yankees depth and a direct path to the majors.  

If was a 16 year old, switch hitting Mike Trout I wouldn't give a crap about who might be blocking me either.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's absolutely true.  

What he cared about was $5.1M. His entire family can live like royalty for the rest of their lives even if he goes all Brien Taylor.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

At the time he signed, teams complained to the AL commissioner that Brooks' dad suddenly had a very nice car and that rumors were that Brooks got under the table money.  Those rumors were never substantiated and Brooks has denied them all his life.

But...the Orioles were known to break the rules during their spending splurges then.