2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

I wonder how much Milwaukee would trade for Bundy and Givens?  That seems like a good fit for the brewers.  Brice Turang would be an interesting name.  Would add to our depth at SS.  

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=mil

Here’s a good question, what if we would’ve just traded Machado to the Brewers straight up for Huira?  Means we don’t get the LAD package or Brewers package for Schoop.  Going forward would you rather just have Huira, or Diaz/Kremer/Pop/Carrol/Carmona/Ortiz???

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wonder how much Milwaukee would trade for Bundy and Givens?  That seems like a good fit for the brewers.  Brice Turang would be an interesting name.  Would add to our depth at SS.  

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=mil

Here’s a good question, what if we would’ve just traded Machado to the Brewers straight up for Huira?  Means we don’t get the LAD package or Brewers package for Schoop.  Going forward would you rather just have Huira, or Diaz/Kremer/Pop/Carrol/Carmona/Ortiz???

Brewers would never trade a prospect like Hiura for a rental.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Right. We couldn't get Gavin Lux from LA. Hiura wasn't a possibility. This goes to my earlier point - quality vs quantity isn't the "seller's" choice.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Yes, I agree that these guys are all within reach of a wild card. The point of my comment, though, was that even the first wildcard isn't worth a major expenditure in terms of trade. Cashner is a logical target for Bubble teams that need pitching, but only because he’s cheap. If he’s not cheap he’s no longer a worthwhile target. So we’re going to trade him for a little or not at all. Givens has even less value and will return even less.

Teams are becoming more aware of the value of their younger players, that’s why there are fewer stupid long-term free-agent contracts. The same applies to breaking the bank for a better chance at a one game playoff. It’s just not a good investment. With that in mind, if we move our assets, we’re not gonna get much for them.

People are still undervalueing Givens.  He has been pretty good since the start of June with era under 3.  His strikeout numbers are great and career highs and still two years plus of control.  Having control of a guy that is pretty cheap is a huge asset.  If he continues strong he will bring back a top 100 guy if traded.  Givens had a tough week stretch but beside that his numbers are solid.  

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Do people really think this is a choice (quantity vs quality) that the selling team gets to make willingly?

Do they think that the buying team sees a couple mid level prospects equal a top prospect?

It’s amusing that people think DD chose quantity over quality at last year’s deadline and don’t realize that teams weren’t going to give up their top prospects for what we were offering.

I said to the largest degree possible. I didn't say for the best player they have.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Right. We couldn't get Gavin Lux from LA. Hiura wasn't a possibility. This goes to my earlier point - quality vs quantity isn't the "seller's" choice.

You guys say this now. But my question was would you rather have Huira or the all the players from the Dodgers and Brewers trades. With the caveat that we don’t get the Brewers package because they wouldn’t have needed Schoop if they had Manny. 

I know it’s a Huira love fest, but an injury to Kremer, and a semi-slow start to Diaz shouldn’t take away from the two packages. Plus Ortiz could be a solid BP arm and Carmona is a wild card. 

Moving on, I think the Brewers make the most sense for a Bundy/Cashner and Givens package. The question is what would they give up?  Bundy and Givens, even if bullpen arms for them in the playoffs, are huge additions. Is that worth SS B. Turang?  

To me, Bundy to NYY for Frazier is a pipe dream, but Bundy to Mil might be a good fit. Then it’s just a matter of doing a bigger deal to include Givens. I’m all for improving our left side of the IF depth. 

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

People are still undervalueing Givens.  He has been pretty good since the start of June with era under 3.  His strikeout numbers are great and career highs and still two years plus of control.  Having control of a guy that is pretty cheap is a huge asset.  If he continues strong he will bring back a top 100 guy if traded.  Givens had a tough week stretch but beside that his numbers are solid.  

I think the issue is that there will be a number of relievers available at the deadline who are better than Givens. Also, Givens made $2M this year - I'm not an expert in arbitration, but he's not going to be "cheap" by the end of that team control either.

I think it is likely that Givens is traded, but I'm not expecting to get anything impressive. But I agree, he's been better and I think a smart front office will be able to see beyond the ugly ERA.

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You guys say this now. But my question was would you rather have Huira or the all the players from the Dodgers and Brewers trades. With the caveat that we don’t get the Brewers package because they wouldn’t have needed Schoop if they had Manny. 

I know it’s a Huira love fest, but an injury to Kremer, and a semi-slow start to Diaz shouldn’t take away from the two packages. Plus Ortiz could be a solid BP arm and Carmona is a wild card. 

Moving on, I think the Brewers make the most sense for a Bundy/Cashner and Givens package. The question is what would they give up?  Bundy and Givens, even if bullpen arms for them in the playoffs, are huge additions. Is that worth SS B. Turang?  

To me, Bundy to NYY for Frazier is a pipe dream, but Bundy to Mil might be a good fit. Then it’s just a matter of doing a bigger deal to include Givens. I’m all for improving our left side of the IF depth. 

I'd think Milwaukee would pursue Cashner before Bundy - who wouldn't cost that much. I also can't see a cost-conscious team like the Brewers moving their best prospect and a recent first round pick for a bad starting pitcher and a so-so reliever.

It's probably inevitable that Frazier gets traded - but it will be for Bumgarner or Stroman. I'd put my money on a Frazier for Stroman swap.

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Couldn’t get Lux? I don’t believe that. 

52 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think the issue is that there will be a number of relievers available at the deadline who are better than Givens. Also, Givens made $2M this year - I'm not an expert in arbitration, but he's not going to be "cheap" by the end of that team control either.

I think it is likely that Givens is traded, but I'm not expecting to get anything impressive. But I agree, he's been better and I think a smart front office will be able to see beyond the ugly ERA.

I don’t think his arbitration raises will be very high, especially with only two years before FA. Even if you double twice, from 2 to 4 to 8, hats not much at all.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It makes no sense to pretend that getting Hiura was an option.  It wasn't.

5 hours ago, bpilktree said:

With what I said in previous post here is a few predictions of type of trades I could see.

Cashner to Arizona for Taylor Clark and another prospect around the 30-50 range.   

Villar to Cubs for Oscar DeLa Cruz and Trent Giambrone.

Givens to Pirates for O’Neil Cruz and Max Kranick 

Not that I have any attachment to Giambrone or the perpetually hurt De La Cruz, but where would Villar play? The Cubs have Baez,Russell,Descalso,Bote and the newly promoted Robel Garcia who can all play a combination of 2b or SS. That also doesn't account for either Happ or Zobrist who is rumored to be coming back in August or September. If the Cubs need a bat a CFer would be great so Almora's no hitting ass can go somewhere else and Heyward can stick to RF where he's still good defensively.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t think his arbitration raises will be very high, especially with only two years before FA. Even if you double twice, from 2 to 4 to 8, hats not much at all.

Yeah I think that is about where he lands unless the teams makes him a closer  but don’t see a team needing a closer right now going after him.  I think if you trade for him you get 2.5 years for about 10-14 million which is a good deal for late inning reliever. 

51 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

The question is whether he was off limits or off limits as a piece in the desired package. DD went for quantity in all of the trades. It’s hard for me to believe that Lux and Pop for Manny wouldn’t have worked.