Bradford traded to Tampa Bay for player to be named later

Tony-OH

Good job by Peter to get MacPhail's comments so quickly. That to me sounds like a salary dump.

The quote definitely makes it sound like a salary dump. I'm confused, though. If this was just about shedding the money, why wait until after the waiver deadline to make the move?

If AM didn't think he was getting back a valuable piece in return, why not trade him before 7/31, when he'd have more flexibility and more potential trade partners?

IMO the PTBNL will still be someone like Zobrist, or a relatively decent AA pitcher with some potential upside.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The quote definitely makes it sound like a salary dump. I'm confused, though. If this was just about shedding the money, why wait until after the waiver deadline to make the move?

If AM didn't think he was getting back a valuable piece in return, why not trade him before 7/31, when he'd have more flexibility and more potential trade partners?

IMO the PTBNL will still be someone like Zobrist, or a relatively decent AA pitcher with some potential upside.

Maybe no team was willing to take on the entire contract. Dont forget we also shed about $1M this season as well.

By Bradford leaving on a waiver claim, the team has to take the entire contract.

Because he (AM) needed to exhaust all of his options to try to get a decent player back. Everyone knew Bradford would get claimed. If you don't get any decent offers before the deadline, you put him through waivers and see if you can improve on it.

I for one buy into the idea that the most likely reason for it to be a PTBNL is a contingency on where the Rays finish this year. Alternatively, the 40-man roster excuse makes some sense. Wouldn't it also be possible that we traded for a player who was drafted and signed by the Rays less than a year ago?

Bartlett is the starter at SS. They seem pretty happy with him. Zobrist, yes I could see that and would be very happy, but neither Bartlett or Brignac for sure.

Nope i'm almost positive it's Zobrist starting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I probably hear more about them than you do, since I live closer.

This seems more like a roster dump than salary dump. With no options on Sarfate, Johnson or Penn, moves have to be made. Bradford was first to go so quickly because the next move on Friday is likely to call up Penn to start Sunday and move Sarfate back to where he belongs. Orioles are just cleaning house to make room, I don't think it was financial.

Because he (AM) needed to exhaust all of his options to try to get a decent player back. Everyone knew Bradford would get claimed. If you don't get any decent offers before the deadline, you put him through waivers and see if you can improve on it.

I for one buy into the idea that the most likely reason for it to be a PTBNL is a contingency on where the Rays finish this year. Alternatively, the 40-man roster excuse makes some sense. Wouldn't it also be possible that we traded for a player who was drafted and signed by the Rays less than a year ago?

If a player was drafted in 2007 they could be traded already. If it is someone from 2008 they cant be traded until next season.

Nope i'm almost positive it's Zobrist starting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I probably hear more about them than you do, since I live closer.

Nope, Bartlett has been their starter all year, except when injured and as has already been mentioned by someone living in Tampa the Rays are extremely happy with his defense. I saw that Zobrist was in center last night and Willie Aybar was at SS. Bartlett might be injured again, but Zobrist is definitely #2 on their depth chart at short behind Bartlett.

This years draftees, the earliest the player could be acquired would be June 7, 2009. All PTBNL deals have to be completed in 6 months. This deal has to finished on 2/7/2009.

If this was a pure salary dump then we are just giving away Bradford's deal here so that we can save money to make some big splashes this offseason in FA. I expect us to land Burnett and Tex, so every little bit of $ will help. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody touched Walker.

Interesting in that Cot's says the ballclub with lower with the lower winning percentage has priority. So, does that mean say, if Minnesota had the lowest claim, the Orioles and Minnesota couldn't have worked out a deal, the Orioles just moved up the claiming ladder?

From Cot's

No. It means that if Minnesota put in a claim they would get priority over the Rays. If the Orioles couldn't find anything they wanted within the Twins org., they could bring Bradford back and not trade him. But it seems that no one in the AL but the Rays (and maybe the Angels; we won't know) wanted Bradford, so they got to him first and MacPhail was happy enough just to get rid of Bradford instead of actually looking for specific needs.

Sure we did.

We said, "Okay! You can have him."

No it is basically a trade. If we could not agree on a player they would have recalled him from waivers which means he would have been with us for the year. A player can be called back one time and then the second time he is claimed he is gone. Hopefully the PTBNL is someone worthwhile and maybe they thought he would be claimed. Or maybe Tampa is trying to pass the guy through now. Here is hoping for Zobrist or Brignac.

If this was a pure salary dump then we are just giving away Bradford's deal here so that we can save money to make some big splashes this offseason in FA. I expect us to land Burnett and Tex, so every little bit of $ will help. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody touched Walker.

Man I love the way you think, well not sure about Burnett. But I'd give him a shot if it wasn't for a ton of money.

Archived