Toby Welk

glenn__davis

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

After going to see Welk last week and watching many of his games this year, he is the surprise of this draft so far. Picks up spin well, barrels balls often, and has a nice pro body that could still fill out some. Defensively he's got decent first step quickness and an average 3B arm, but the accuracy of his throws will determine whether he sticks there. There's enough athleticism here were he could be tried in the outfield or maybe even tried at 2B if 3B doesn't work out. Definitely a guy to watch despite being a 21st rounder.

And a D3 guy!!!!

Good story. He'll be fun to watch. There are a handful of guys who are having early success from this draft. Good stuff.

• Upvote 2

NAME POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG OPS
Toby Welk 3B 33 122 14 44 7 1 2 20 59 13 26 1 1 .426 .484 .361 .909

My brother was just talking to me last night about how he feels that this franchise could really use a few surprise players rising through the system to become quality Major Leaguers.  Welk would certainly qualify. Here's hoping he finds a defensive home and can continue his impressive start. You never know.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think there is a chance all those guys get promoted for the postseason. But Delmarva is 4th out of 14 teams in runs per game in the Sally league despite playing in one of the more pitcher friendly environments in the league, so I wouldn't say they are light on offense.

There stats aren't pretty but somehow they're getting it done if they're 4th overall.  

The Cardinals found guys like this in the draft a lot when Mike & Sig were there.  They would scrape stats from all levels of college baseball, go scout the players based off the stats, and then draft some guys that fit their STOUT model that they created.  Guys like Matt Adams, Trevor Rosenthal & Jaime Garcia come to mind in particular.  All 3 were taken after the 20th round and went on to become productive major leaguers.  

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I would never be the Debbie Downer saying something like... Yeah he's a nice find, but every team has a nice find like that - a 22 year old in low A doing well.  I would never bring people down by saying something like that.    

It might take 10 before one rises to another level, but one will never rise if you don't find guys like this in the first place. 

51 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

This guy continues to impress and is taking advantage of his situation. It seems like his HR power is not what you might want at the 3B ML level. But, he is a nice find. How is he defensively? 2nd base possibility?

Here's Tony's response in another thread regarding Welk's defense at 3B:

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

From what I've seen he's got pretty good first step quickness, decent hands and a solid average 3B arm, but his accuracy can be a problem at times. I've got to go back and watch more of his defense on video to give a full analysis. 

On 8/17/2019 at 8:32 PM, MurphDogg said:

2-4 today with a double and his fourth home run of the season. .353/.403/.514.

Gotta think he could help out at Delmarva where JC Encarnacion and Ryne Ogren are holding down third base.

There is little doubt in my mind that he is better than both of those players, but I think the organization wants to see both Encarnacion and Welk get playing time. I could see Welk getting the Escarra treatment if Encarnacion is return to Delmarva once again since he really hasn't earned a promotion.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There is little doubt in my mind that he is better than both of those players, but I think the organization wants to see both Encarnacion and Welk get playing time. I could see Welk getting the Estrada treatment if Encarnacion is return to Delmarva once again since he really hasn't earned a promotion.

Okay, that's a little too inside baseball for me. What exactly is "the Estrada treatment"?