Tanner Scott

weams

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Or, are the wasting time on guys who should be relievers because they don't have the command or consistent off speed stuff to be starters? There are only so many bullets in those arms. i have no problem with the three inning stints to help them develop pitches and allow for side work between "starts", but trying to extend them into starters doesn't make a lot of sense if you ask me. Both of these guys have a chance to be power relievers if they can command their stuff better. Trying to extend them out just lengthens the development time on the slim chance they come together.  

Both are already on the 40 man and used an option for this year. So I think we will see them get some innings out of the MLB pen in September. 

If the big league club was "in" the playoffs at the moment, and needed a pen arm, I think we'd see one of them get consideration. 

I look at it like this, our rotation outlook isn't very bright next year. Plus we've had a hard time developing guys to be in the rotation. So if we can develop Scott, Castro and Liranzo into "super relievers" they could potentially cover up a weak rotation. 

Have your SP's go 4-5IP, have an 8 man pen, turn the game over to one of these guys in the middle innings. Gotta patchwork 9 innings somehow. 

35 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Both are already on the 40 man and used an option for this year. So I think we will see them get some innings out of the MLB pen in September. 

Buck suggested otherwise in a fairly recent interview, at least with respect to Scott, but I suppose that could change.   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/06/showalter-on-chance-sisco-and-tanner-scott-game-update.html

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck suggested otherwise in a fairly recent interview, at least with respect to Scott, but I suppose that could change.   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/06/showalter-on-chance-sisco-and-tanner-scott-game-update.html

Interesting - Buck implies they're happy with his slider, and they still have hope he'll master the changeup.  No curveball?  

On 7/27/2017 at 11:21 PM, OFFNY said:

o

TANNER ALEXANDER SCOTT ))))))  (vs. AA-Akron, 7/27)

R:l))l.lll 0 ) *

* ) One of Scott's baserunners is still on 2nd base with one out, as the game has been suspended.

o

o

The baserunner in question did not score. 

Jordan Kipper walked a batter, and then recorded a double play to end the inning.

Scott's final line for the game is 0 Runs over 3.33 Innings Pitched.

o

• 1 month later...

I think Felipe Rivero's tremendous success this season after 3 somewhat up and down years is a reason the O's need to do everything they can to develop Scott into a significant part of the O's future.  The Nats gave up on Rivero, and that's one of the few significant mistakes they made.  Though Rivero didn't have as much problems with walks as Scott did, he did have problems with command.  As he's tightened up on his command of his fastball, wiff inducing change-up and ground-ball inducing slider, he's become dominant.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They had a desperate need for a closer, and Rivero hadn't done anything to distinguish himself while a Nat.    Here's some analysis immediately after the trade:  http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=29986

To me all that really matters are the results. Rivero has said the Nats didn't want him to ever use a change up, but Pitt has let him use it and Rivero claims it's helped him to the point they've talked to him about starting. He may be the most dominant lefty RP in the NL right now, he was the best within a year of the deal, the Nats must have been doing something wrong if he was the much better that quickly. We can only see what's televised, I'd wait a year - 3 to grade most trades and 3-5 to grade most draft picks. If someone else is getting that much out of him & will for the next 6-7 years, I believe it to be a failure that Washington has to be kicking themselves over as they've run out the worst pen in baseball most of the year. 

Rizzo dealing Pivetta didn't get much criticism - that I recall - but it was an awful trade. They get paid so much money to get it right, I think they deserve to be held to an extraordinarily high standard when they have one of the most prestigious 30 jobs in all of the sport.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...