Tanner Scott

weams

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My big takeaway from Buck's comments is that he doesn't expect to see him called up this year.   

I agree, the starter thing is wishful thinking.  While I think Scott's stuff could play in the Majors, it'd be better to let him spend more times working on control and his slider.  

I just thought it was interesting to have Buck bring that up, without being asked, that would make me think they must be at least spit-balling the idea in the organization (unless Buck is just shooting from the hip which is possible).

On 6/30/2017 at 9:02 AM, Tony-OH said:

Sure, and if pigs had wings they could fly. lol

This has worked well for him but it may be time to put him back in the relief role since the Orioles may need him down the stretch. 

I'm with you Tony, I think it's a major long shot, and a lot of things would have to go right for it to work out. Arm holding up, developing another pitch, and continued improvement in control.

However, it looks like my hunch that the organization is seriously considering trying to make him a starter is confirmed.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/07/are-the-os-considering-tanner-scott-a-future-starter.html

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'm with you Tony, I think it's a major long shot, and a lot of things would have to go right for it to work out. Arm holding up, developing another pitch, and continued improvement in control.

However, it looks like my hunch that the organization is seriously considering trying to make him a starter is confirmed.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/07/are-the-os-considering-tanner-scott-a-future-starter.html

Ugh.

They are going to make him blow his arm out.

20 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Well, we all know how successful they are at developing starters, so why not?

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yanked after one shutout inning tonight.    I hope nothing's wrong.   

Wasn't watching the game, but he just pitched 3 innings on the 2nd.  He's usually gone 5-6 days between starts, and this would only be 4, so I'm assuming they just wanted to get him an appearance to set him up to appear in the AA all star game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

Wasn't watching the game, but he just pitched 3 innings on the 2nd.  He's usually gone 5-6 days between starts, and this would only be 4, so I'm assuming they just wanted to get him an appearance to set him up to appear in the AA all star game.

Seems reasonable, I hope your reasoning is sound.

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think you're onto something. He will also be pitching in the futures game too. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think you're onto something. He will also be pitching in the futures game too. 

Makes sense to me, too.    The fact that Means came in afterwards tells us it was probably planned this way.  

Watched the whole inning. His command wasn't great. He got two strikeouts on sliders. He couldn't finish guys off with the FB. 

Good stuff. I could see how he just overpowers AA hitters. I think MLB hitters wouldn't chase as much. AAA hitters might not. 

lol glad we're giving him innings and developing him instead of rushing him up here. That could change if we are in things in September. 

I was impressed overall, maybe a little too harsh considering he followed Honeywell and Kopesch. They throw just as hard and have 3-4 pitches. 

Scott looked really good, save for the first pitch he threw which nearly sailed over the Sisco's head. Located the fastball well. Seemed to have decent movement, not flat. Broadcast radar showed him hitting 100 once, with everything else 98-99. Slider was not in the filth nasty category IMO but was very effective and he spotted it very well. It was 89-90. His mechanics look pretty solid to me. Medium effort delivery I though.

I was impressed, especially given the 3 hitters he faced. All of who are very highly regarded. According to BA, the number 2, 5 and 10 prospects in the game. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Scott looked really good, save for the first pitch he threw which nearly sailed over the Sisco's head. Located the fastball well. Seemed to have decent movement, not flat. Broadcast radar showed him hitting 100 once, with everything else 98-99. Slider was not in the filth nasty category IMO but was very effective and he spotted it very well. It was 89-90. His mechanics look pretty solid to me. Medium effort delivery I though.

I was impressed, especially given the 3 hitters he faced. All of who are very highly regarded. According to BA, the number 2, 5 and 10 prospects in the game. 

Thanks for the review! I wonder if he is going to pitch in the Double A All Star game this week?