Hate to do it but... Dalton Pompey?

interloper

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Should is not the same thing as needs.

Instead of giving your opinion that you think he should finish the year in AAA you stated that he needed to stay there.  Implying somehow that his development would suffer.

As stated before it is not exactly uncommon for players to skip AAA or play few games there.  I can't think of any position player that I can look back on and say, not spending more time at AAA really hurt his career.

This is a semantic argument. We are on a message board where everything is an opinion. Saying a player needs to do something is an ubiquitous argument in the world of sports fandom. I'm not implying that his development would suffer, I have no issue saying that I think his development would suffer. He hasn't had consistent ABs at a level he should be at in going on two years now. Mind you, this isn't just my opinion, this is something Elias has outright said. Hays isn't the caliber of prospect that you manipulate service time for so he's not just blowing smoke when he says that.

Just curious, but what function do you believe that the minor leagues serve? It's very clear that they don't want to have another 2017 situation and bring him up before they believe he will stick. Most scouting services believe him to be a below average to average regular right now. Just because you like him and want to see him succeed doesn't mean he's at a different level of prospect status than he's at right now.

Edited by LTO's

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

This is a semantic argument. We are on a message board where everything is an opinion. Saying a player needs to do something is an ubiquitous argument in the world of sports fandom. I'm not implying that his development would suffer, I have no issue saying that I think his development would suffer. He hasn't had consistent ABs at a level he should be at in going on two years now. Mind you, this isn't just my opinion, this is something Elias has outright said. Hays isn't the caliber of prospect that you manipulate service time for so he's not just blowing smoke when he says that.

Just curious, but what function do you believe that the minor leagues serve? It's very clear that they don't want to have another 2017 situation and bring him up before they believe he will stick. Most scouting services believe him to be a below average to average regular right now just because you like him and want to see him succeed doesn't mean he's at a different level of prospect status than he's at right now.

Where did the prospect and scouting service place Luke Voit before Yankeedom?

17 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Mountcastle needs to find a position. At 22, give him the time to do that.

No, Mountcastle needs to learn how to take a walk. His walk rate is one of the lowest ever in a single minor league season for the last 15 years. He's literally the AAA version of Hanser Alberto.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he was going to have much of a ML career either way.

At least this way he's going to have a season in the bigs.

Based on what, though? He had a very solid season at AA before jumping to the majors.

2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Based on what, though? He had a very solid season at AA before jumping to the majors.

Based on he likes Hays and didn't know anything about Richie Martin prior to the Rule 5 draft. The argument is nonsensical. The vast majority of teams have their top prospects (which i wouldn't even consider Hays) spend time in AAA. It's basically impossible to say whether not speding any time in AAA hurt someone's career because it can be blamed on a plethora of other things that happen over the course of a players career. 

9 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Rule 5 guys are, by definition, players that teams would not afford the chance to continue their development in the minors. If the A's thought Martin would be a major leaguer after some seasoning in the minors, wouldn't they have kept him?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From watching him at bat. 

That is of course simply my opinion.

Fair enough. I do think there is something to be said for smoothing a player's transition by having him spend some time in AAA ball to get that extra increment of development. There are exceptions especially for first rounders like Machado and Markakis who were first rounders for a reason. Schoop wasn't even drafted, was he? He was an IFA signing, I think. Those guys are wild cards and can also have that kind of ability. I would say Rutschman is another guy though I do think he will end up spending a little time there at least under this regime.

I am not generally in favor of promoting guys to the majors from Bowie because it's a huge leap. Just because some guys can do it doesn't really change my mind much. I will say that it's easier to see how a pitcher's development was hurt than it is a hitter's development. I do think many hitters benefit from at least some time in AAA. Some guys can only hit AAA pitching and ultimately end up being AAAA players, so there must be a significant difference in difficulty there and I'm not sure it's necessarily good to skip it altogether. The easier a player can transition to the next level, the better it is for them. Elias does seem to regard AAA as a beneficial level of development.