Should Rutschman stay at catcher?

Sessh

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

So here’s the thing, let’s assume Rutschman is going to hit like 2019 Trey Mancini. He has potential to be better than that, but I think that’d be a solid outcome.

So if he’s a plus defensive catcher and hits like that he’s going to be a 5-6 WAR player, maybe the best catcher in baseball.

If he does it at first base, he’ll be a 3 WAR player, that’s the difference between a piece you build around and just a good player.

It could also be the difference between a guy who plays for 15-20 years and a guy whose career is over at 30 due to head injuries or a huge dip in productiveness. I would put a player there who was just a good player, but not my best player.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

They would if the FO is that good.  Maintaining a competitive team is an ongoing process and along those lines, the future of the Orioles was not fixed in place in June 2019. Isn't trading players at peak value the point of major league baseball now?  You would think so if you follow this board closely.  Perhaps you're not one of those (I'm not), but I predict controlled and considered roster churn is the new market efficency and Rutchman just might be a nugget in that regard.

Fair enough, perhaps you're right on that.

Yea I don’t think you really even think about a position change unless he turns out to have like a top 10 OPS in all of baseball, regardless of position, for multiple seasons. As Luke said, a huge amount of his value right now is tied to his position.  If we’re having this conversation in 5 or 6 years, it would be an amazing outcome. 

I hope we didn't use 1-1 on a plus defensive catcher that we plan to move to 1B the least valued position on the field.

Just that anyone is thinking this goes to how much I disliked a catcher at 1-1

CJ Abrams will never be moved to 1B, at a minimum he will be a plus defensive SS or CF

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

I hope we didn't use 1-1 on a plus defensive catcher that we plan to move to 1B the least valued position on the field.

CJ Abrams will never be moved to 1B, at a minimum he will be a plus defensive SS or CF

Interesting thought.

I said this before.

How much will he catch until we are ready to compete? Almost like a pitcher if they choose they can limit his catching to save wear and tear on him.  

Does it make sense for him to catch 120 games in a season on a non contender? Just a thought.  

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Will Clark - 56.5 rWAR

Mark Grace - 46.4 rWAR

I’d be thrilled if Rutschman reached that level.   

No where did I ever say that Grace and Clark were comps for Rutschman.  My intent, which obviously didn't hit the mark, was that there are a lot of players with beautiful swings, they don't all end up as epic hitters.  I want people to judge Rutschman by results, not by how subjectively awesome his mechanics look.

Mark Grace and Will Clark had fluid, pleasing swing mechanics, and people often remarked on that.  But neither was Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds or even Mike Schmidt.

6 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

The only people moving Rutschman to first are people on messageboards.

CJ Abrams is 18 and has never played above rookie ball with a bunch of July 2nd kids from the DR.  It'll be a little while before we know what he'll become.  Although I'm sure we'll be reminded every time he gets a hit, on his way to becoming the better version of Willie Mays.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The only people moving Rutschman to first are people on messageboards.

CJ Abrams is 18 and has never played above rookie ball with a bunch of July 2nd kids from the DR.  It'll be a little while before we know what he'll become.  Although I'm sure we'll be reminded every time he gets a hit, on his way to becoming the better version of Willie Mays.

Feel like CJ Abrams is about to reach OH legend status with the amount of times we're going to be 'reminded' of what we missed out on by taking the best hitter in college baseball.

What's the message board version of a drinking game?

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Feel like CJ Abrams is about to reach OH legend status with the amount of times we're going to be 'reminded' of what we missed out on by taking the best hitter in college baseball.

What's the message board version of a drinking game?

Just be happy Bobby Witt jr is putting up a 664 OPS in the Arizona League.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just be happy Bobby Witt jr is putting up a 664 OPS in the Arizona League.

That's kinda bad.

But nowhere near Gunnar Henderson level bad.  No one show webbrick how he is doing please.  kthxbai    Then we'll have to hear about how much better some 3rd rounder is doing etc.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2019 at 9:56 PM, Sessh said:

After seeing all the abuse Sisco and especially Severino have taken from balls to the head, you want to put our future back there? If Severino pans out to be a major league catcher, the wise thing to do is sign him and keep him as catcher so Rutschman can spend most of his time at a less hazardous position at first base and be a backup option instead of a full-time one. I don't want my best player routinely taking 95mph heaters to the head.

If the Orioles were going to draft just a hitter, they would have drafted Vaughn. Part of Rutschman's value is that he's a plus defender at a premium position. If you make that decision, it comes about 6-7 years into his major league career.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Aglets said:

That's kinda bad.

But nowhere near Gunnar Henderson level bad.  No one show webbrick how he is doing please.  kthxbai    Then we'll have to hear about how much better some 3rd rounder is doing etc.

Way too early to be concerned over any numbers this year's draft picks are putting up of course, but I always look at that K-BB ratio at that lower level to get an idea on how they pick up professional pitching spin. The early, early results on Henderson is certainly not good, but lots of time to get it going.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Way too early to be concerned over any numbers this year's draft picks are putting up of course, but I always look at that K-BB ratio at that lower level to get an idea on how they pick up professional pitching spin. The early, early results on Henderson is certainly not good, but lots of time to get it going.

There is a lot more going on for newly drafted players than baseball. HS draftees are on their own for the first time (I don't know if teams hire "babysitters" to help them adjust, or let them loose), some have been given a respectable amounts of money to play with, dietary (eat what they want and easiest),  the game has now become a profession, etc, etc. The adjustment for anyone is difficult. But for a 17-19 year old, scary!!! Not as much for the college draftee, but still some of the same issues. The game is now a job and their future..tough for anyone 18-22. Let them get through the first 1.5 years to learn and then assess.