Stewart recalled

Legend_Of_Joey

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You know he had NCAA RB scholarships right?  You know the guy slipped on a wet field right?  You see the photos from flooding in Baltimore last night?  I’m surprised that game was even played. 

And yet again this has to be said...Not everyone is built like Adrian Peterson, some people are built like Eddie Lacy.

If this were Ryan Mountcastle the board would be talking about how Orioles management was irresponsible for even playing that game. But it fits the failed first round draft pick narrative to pile on Stewart. 

Why the heck didn’t the trainer take him out right when it happened?  

I agree with almost all of this post.

I don't agree with the Mountcastle part, if Mountcastle made a play like that the cries that he is nothing but a DH would rain down from the heavens. 

The rest though, is spot on.

13 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You know he had NCAA RB scholarships right?  You know the guy slipped on a wet field right?  You see the photos from flooding in Baltimore last night?  I’m surprised that game was even played. 

And yet again this has to be said...Not everyone is built like Adrian Peterson, some people are built like Eddie Lacy.

If this were Ryan Mountcastle the board would be talking about how Orioles management was irresponsible for even playing that game. But it fits the failed first round draft pick narrative to pile on Stewart. 

Why the heck didn’t the trainer take him out right when it happened?  

I have to watch again, but live, it looked more like he got a cleat caught or tripped, THEN slipped when attempting to get his feet set. 

The issue of him staying in was weird. Hyde mentioned today that Stewart was alert, conscious, and made a joke about he always sees the coach when injured.

But when he started shielding his eyes from the light and holding his head after that...He should of been out.

• Upvote 1

Two things from reading the last few pages of this thread.

1) It's a bummer that this season is a bit of a wash for Stewart, but he's very much in the running for starts next year and has shown a good bit of promise in the past couple seasons with his OBP skills which this team needs to keep emphasizing.  I think he's about league average for what you would expect from a LF and last night was a bummer but not should not be used to define his defensive ability.

2) I love Elias, but clean up your damn roster!  You still have more players that need to be evaluated.  Kline, Both T. Scotts, Phillips, Tate, Harvey, Austin Hayes, Stewart when he's healthy (are you going to call up Mason Wiliams? ) need to be thrown to the wolves up on the big club to see what we got.  Hess, Yac, Eshelman, Brooks, Smith Jr are fodder.  It might even be time to move on from Bleier although his past few seasons may allow him one more season to fully prove himself after his injury.  What's the deal with Chandler Shepperd?  He's 27 next month, soooo what's you seeing in him?  Might as well call him up too for a start. Don't even get me started on Jace Peterson. What are we doing with Davis here? Everyone else gets a 26 man roster next year, we need to take advantage of that.  Davis screws up a good opportunity for a rebuilding team to maximize its player development.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I have to watch again, but live, it looked more like he got a cleat caught or tripped, THEN slipped when attempting to get his feet set. 

The issue of him staying in was weird. Hyde mentioned today that Stewart was alert, conscious, and made a joke about he always sees the coach when injured.

But when he started shielding his eyes from the light and holding his head after that...He should of been out.

Yeah, but really - All they had to do was look at the huge bump on his head to realize he should have been out of the game from jump.  Some things are kinda obvious.  

10 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, but really - All they had to do was look at the huge bump on his head to realize he should have been out of the game from jump.  Some things are kinda obvious.  

I think the problem is broader than this one bad decision. Although there is much greater awareness of brain injury in sports, and there has been big strides in protecting players after a diagnosis, making a sideline diagnosis is still pretty much in the age of "what day is it? How many fingers do I have up?". Part of it is that the science of what constitutes a significant trauma that should result in pulling a player from a game is still unclear. Part of it is there is more an attitude of unless you get cold cocked and are blurry eyed we are sending you back out there, and less an attitude of if you get  hit in the head we are pulling you from the game to make sure you are OK. Over the past several years I have watched many catchers in playoff games get hit in the head by balls and bats multiple times and still play after the trainer came out and looked him in the eye (and probably asked him what day it was, and did he still want to stay in the game).  There is at least some evidence that getting slightly injured, still playing, and getting slightly injured again puts a payer at significant risk for chronic or long-term injuries. I don't think that is supported by a whole lot of evidence (I am not an expert), but it seems like the most cautious approach to protecting player health is still not being followed.

• Upvote 1