Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Is it though? I mean if riding the bench is representative of that factor, then I’d say it sounds underwhelming.

I think guys are smart enough to know what’s going on. 

But actually its not.  The Os owed Cashner significant money, he was performing well and his reward was to be traded against his will.  

The message is and pretty much always has been that baseball players are assets and/or liabilities and FOs are going to do whatever they can to maximize the return both in terms of team performance and organizational cash flow.   There's no loyalty on either side now

I think the players understand the business of baseball at this stage of their careers.  They aren't naive 18 year olds. 

2 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

But actually its not.  The Os owed Cashner significant money, he was performing well and his reward was to be traded against his will.  

The message is and pretty much always has been that baseball players are assets and/or liabilities and FOs are going to do whatever they can to maximize the return both in terms of team performance and organizational cash flow.   There's no loyalty on either side now

I think the players understand the business of baseball at this stage of their careers.  They aren't naive 18 year olds. 

Actually it’s not underwhelming? I agree players are assets. So, then who cares if they don’t like how they’re used in that capacity? 

I don’t know how your example of Cashner is even remotely related to that of a player who’s so bad it’s accepted that he remains on a roster solely because of the money owed to him.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Is it though? I mean if riding the bench is representative of that factor, then I’d say it sounds underwhelming.

Yea, they know that Davis can't play anymore and he's bringing the rest of the team down because he's owed a lot of money.  Maybe they know that they got sent down because Davis is taking up a spot on the 25.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

Never said they had involvement in the decision to sign Davis - - -  altho to believe that Brady or Buck wasn't in one of the son's ears or their intermediaries politicking to talk to dad, I find that hard to imagine.  It was clearly all on Peter, tho, to sign him - no one is disputing that.  It has been well established and I agree it, among others is the reason, Buck and Brady and others are no longer here.  That's the good of the situation as it stands.  But the situation is in the sons' laps now.

If Peter is out, then the sons have inherited the problem despite not actually calling for the signing.  That's what I mean about laying it in Dad's lap.  It WAS his decision and whether they agree with it or not, by doing nothing, there it sits.   A reminder of those things you pointed out.  Maybe they don't want to upset him or feel like they would be insulting him or his decision, idk.  But CD on this team is a contradiction to what the sons talked about when hiring Elias.  He is the worst player on the team and, until recently, has gotten full playing time in the midst of auditions galore everywhere else.  Might Mancini have shown ability at 1B?  Anyone else?

It's a bad reminder of the bad old days.

Good response. Comprehensive. I understood it. Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

But is that healthy?  On a team who's payroll is nearly double his salary as its total?  It's just seems a very dark cloud that's hanging over the team.

29 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

But is that healthy?  On a team who's payroll is nearly double his salary as its total?  It's just seems a very dark cloud that's hanging over the team.

No.

Here’s the thing: if I’m playing I realize that the only thing keeping him on the roster is the contract. Whether it’s a nod to the old man by his sons, or their decision that they won’t throw away money without Davis at least showing up. His being on the roster is specious reasoning at best, but seeing his butt on the bench is justified because he’s terrible.

The message is still, “You earn playing time by contributing.” And he ain’t.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Actually it’s not underwhelming? I agree players are assets. So, then who cares if they don’t like how they’re used in that capacity? 

I don’t know how your example of Cashner is even remotely related to that of a player who’s so bad it’s accepted that he remains on a roster solely because of the money owed to him.

I meant to counter the can_of_corns statement "Money owed is the most important factor in if you are on the team" 

If Cashner hadn't played well, he couldn't have been traded and the Os probably just would have kept him until the year was over.  In a way,  he played himself out of Baltimore. 

If Davis was playing well, he would in all probably be gone too.  We would have had to eat substantial salary, but would have saved money in the long run. 

18 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I meant to counter the can_of_corns statement "Money owed is the most important factor in if you are on the team" 

If Cashner hadn't played well, he couldn't have been traded and the Os probably just would have kept him until the year was over.  In a way,  he played himself out of Baltimore. 

If Davis was playing well, he would in all probably be gone too.  We would have had to eat substantial salary, but would have saved money in the long run. 

I don't think any team is going to trade for Davis.  Davis also has full no trade protection.

6 hours ago, interloper said:

My latest theory is that, based on Elias' latest comments, Davis gets the offseason (the first full one under Elias) to "make adjustments" aka do it Elias' way. And they test him out in Spring Training and make a call then. 

I agree with you. The tone from Hyde and Elias has definitely shifted.  Melewski was saying the other day they've placed some demands on adjustments they expect him to make. 

I think Mountcastle ultimately forces the issue. If Davis is doing the same thing in Spring Training, I could see them releasing him. Which would have totally shocked me if you asked me earlier this year.

7 hours ago, interloper said:

My latest theory is that, based on Elias' latest comments, Davis gets the offseason (the first full one under Elias) to "make adjustments" aka do it Elias' way. And they test him out in Spring Training and make a call then. 

Eh, it's not like Elias was hired in late January.  He didn't have a full offseason last year but IIRC, he was hired in mid-November.  I doubt there was much that could have been done to really turn Davis around that Elias missed out on between late September and mid-November.  

We'll see.  I dunno, it's the one thing that absolutely has to be addressed this offseason, IMO.  If they don't want to have some of the younger players like Mountcastle on the OD 2020 roster, fine, fine, whatever.  But if Davis is on the OD 2020 roster, it's a travashamockery. 

17 minutes ago, theocean said:

I agree with you. The tone from Hyde and Elias has definitely shifted.  Melewski was saying the other day they've placed some demands on adjustments they expect him to make. 

I think Mountcastle ultimately forces the issue. If Davis is doing the same thing in Spring Training, I could see them releasing him. Which would have totally shocked me if you asked me earlier this year.

Ownership has told Elias and Hyde that Davis gets one last chance. Even then would a good spring training convince anyone that Davis finally got his swing straightened out?