SI ranks the O’s the 4th most hopeless team

Frobby

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

If this team is competing in 2022, I dont think that's hopeless at all. 

Given that the team was basically hollowed out in 2018, being a playoff contender in 2022 works for me. Given the competitive nature of the AL East that would be an impressive turnaround for me.

The Red Sox might be headed for some hard times soon because their farm system has been drained. Perhaps time that with a Rays sell off core players that are becoming too expensive for them, and you might see an up and coming Orioles team sneak into the playoffs. 

I have often said that Tru improvement is not incremental, but transformative: Is meaningless to go from 3 to 4 to 5 to 6. What matters is going from 3 to 4 to 5 to 60 or 70, because that means you have changed something fundamental  and the change is lasting. 

I think we are undergoing that transformative change right now, it is just too early to see the results yet. Not just wiser drafting but the change in FO personnel and philosophy, introduction of analytics, communication between departments( which Jon Shepard of Camden Depot said was basically non-existent) and so on.

the Rangers did get better incrementally, increasing their win total  every year, culminating in their first World Series appearance in 2010. 

But the Rangers apparently traded away a lot of the WAR that they had drafted, which impeded their progress. We seen that Baltimore didn’t draft as well but got more benefit from its drafted players. I think that is going to continue and that’s why I think our jump up will be greater and quicker.

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Red Sox might be headed for some hard times soon because their farm system has been drained. Perhaps time that with a Rays sell off core players that are becoming too expensive for them, and you might see an up and coming Orioles team sneak into the playoffs. 

I think the Sox will be entering the post-Dombrowski lean years as soon as next season if Sale doesn't heal up and regain his form.  They are going to be paying Sale, Price and Eovaldi $79M for the next 3 seasons...They will clear about $40+M in payroll after the season with Porcello and Pablo Sandoval (LOL) off the books. but you hope Dombrowski's mismangement of the pitching contracts will force them to part with Mookie

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Perhaps Suarez will be the Orioles version of Ramiro Mendoza. 
    • What about Crochet? White Sox are a bunch of players short of competing. 
    • I guess Mike Elias saying tip of our tongues circa 1615 was kind of a jinx on Povich letting a bunch of runs in circa 1930 yesterday. We'll still see by next week if 30 games in 31 days becomes 5 rotations of 6 straightaway, or tries to stick to 6 rotations of 5 awhile longer.
    • Almost seems like you read my post in the draft section on Wednesday afternoon. ”Fair point.  Stowers, Watson, Ortiz, Trimble, Rhodes, Donta Williams, Haskin, Servideo, Fabian, Wagner, Ardoin,  are all college position players taken in rounds 2-4.   Maybe Stowers and Fabian carve out a part time role as ML players.   We’ve done well at the top of the draft with this demographic but Ortiz is the only college position player after round that looks like starting material.  The two best of this group, Ortiz and Stowers were taken back in 2019.   We haven’t done so well since then.” The 2023 draft will be interesting to follow.  Horvath is a power guy off to a bad start.  They went with more pitching with Baumeister and Lord and went with a bunch of guys who could play CF.”
    • A lot of it hasn't been his fault, but the sand does feel mostly out of the hourglass for Haskin becoming a $2 million draft pool dollar total loss. To be clear, Elias' team's overall success rate has been Stephen Curry levels of brilliant such that it looks fairly likely today the 2023-2030 Orioles will run circles around the other 29 Clubs at position player WAR, so searching for an expensive bust is kind of a humblebrag parlor game.
    • How did he manage to go undrafted with a  5 pitch mix and t97? Not complaining at all but that’s wild
    • I think some starting pitching depth is needed but I don’t think they’ll be going after big names. I see no reason to trade someone like Povich when he could very well be the answer himself. A rotation of Burnes, Rodriguez, Bradish, and a mix between Irvin, Kremer, and Suarez is decent enough to get through the season but that depends a lot on health. Beyond that and it’s getting into dangerous territory. Povich could be useful this year but I’d much rather see him introduced to MLB through the bullpen. Then the drop off is pretty severe. I don’t see McDermott as an option until he can limit the walks, but he is a warm body to throw out there if needed. That’s alright I guess. After that and we’re talking Zimmermann? More like Zimmer-should never start another major league game for the O’s.
  • Popular Contributors