Is Sisco Toast?

Aristotelian

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, the argument is now that Sisco is toast, but we should have expected him to be toast. Okay, I can agree with that, as long as we acknowledge that he is, in fact, toast.

I don’t acknowledge that he’s toast, or that he “should be” toast.    I was just pointing out that most second round picks don’t become everyday players, so we shouldn’t have “expected” Sisco to be one when he was drafted.    I still have hopes that Sisco will develop into a solid contributor.    I acknowledge that he isn’t one right now, and there are danger signs that he may never become one.    

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t acknowledge that he’s toast, or that he “should be” toast.    I was just pointing out that most second round picks don’t become everyday players, so we shouldn’t have “expected” Sisco to be one when he was drafted.    I still have hopes that Sisco will develop into a solid contributor.    I acknowledge that he isn’t one right now, and there are danger signs that he may never become one.    

I am where you are.  I gave up on players before like Arrrieta and Satander.  Both of whom looked like lost causes.  He has had plenty of success in the minors and still is young.  Perhaps he can come around.  

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My oblique reference to John Bale was because he was traded for Jayson Werth.  O's first round pick in '97, was a top 50 prospect in all of baseball in 2000.  The O's traded him for that mediocre LOOGY because his power was never going to develop and he wasn't a very good defensive catcher.  His power developed about 15 minutes later.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

To stick with the analogy, Sisco is like that piece of toast that you leave in the toaster too long and end up having to scrape off the burnt parts to try and salvage it. It's up to the coaching staff to scrape off his flaws. Hopefully there's still a hitter left when the finish. 

I still think Sisco has a career in baseball, but not as catcher. Orioles should give him every last chance when they are currently trying Wilkerson out as a CF.

2 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

Perhaps, but he and Severino are tied for sixth best hitting performance on the team this year.  96 OPS+ is above average for a catcher.

Yeah, 96 OPS+ this season for both of them.  Sisco has the better career OPS+ and far better minor league numbers, so I'd expect more offensive improvement from him going forward.  Both improved offensively this year and got valuable experience catching, so I think both made strides - I'd call it a useful season for both and for the O's in regards to both.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

I was wondering if now that a 3rd catcher is up would Sisco get a start at 3rd base or any other position during September.

No.  I just don't see them giving him his very first experience at another position at the ML level.  Even Manny got reps at 3B down in Bowie before his promotion.

32 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

No.  I just don't see them giving him his very first experience at another position at the ML level.  Even Manny got reps at 3B down in Bowie before his promotion.

Manny is so atheletic, I think he could probably play any position on the diamond, including catcher,.

Mancini got his first COF at the ML, and for me, common sense, says you do this in the minors, but, heck what do I know.