Austin Hays called up, Ryan Mountcastle not called up

MurphDogg

Just now, Il BuonO said:

He wouldn’t be getting full time reps with a promotion. It’s hardly enough time to properly evaluate him.

For me it isn't about evaluation, it's about increasing his knowledge level.  Heck he could sit on the bench for the whole of September and be better off for the experience.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

For me it isn't about evaluation, it's about increasing his knowledge level.  Heck he could sit on the bench for the whole of September and be better off for the experience.

I’m not sure of that. It’s different for a lot of guys. Could be a detriment to someone accustomed to playing full time.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's my understanding that he can play left field but not at an elite level.  As CoC said earlier, I believe, it's a Mancini like level.  Which, if you like that, that's fine.  

There is quite a bit of distance between elite level and Mancini. It's my hope he can be average. I don't know though and I don't know if anyone else in this debate does either.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m not sure of that. It’s different for a lot of guys. Could be a detriment to someone accustomed to playing full time.

Could be, but I think access to the ML coaching and players would do him good, certainly compared to him sitting on the coach at home.

I would also expect him to get at least a bit of playing time even if was up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

There is quite a bit of distance between elite level and Mancini. It's my hope he can be average. I don't know though and I don't know if anyone else in this debate does either.

Based off his theoretically superior athleticism I would hope his defensive ceiling in left is at least average (better than Mancini).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

There's a chance he could be average but I'd like to see him earn an outfield spot instead of us just handing it over to him.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Could be, but I think access to the ML coaching and players would do him good, certainly compared to him sitting on the coach at home.

I would also expect him to get at least a bit of playing time even if was up.

First, I like Hyde, but he and his staff are no great shakes. 

And you’re probably right, he gets a bit of playing time. But that time eats into Stewart’s and his evaluation over the last month should take precedence. I’ll amend that; they want to see what they have in Stewart. Innings for Mountcastle would mean less for Stewart.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

First, I like Hyde, but he and his staff are no great shakes. 

And you’re probably right, he gets a bit of playing time. But that time eats into Stewart’s and his evaluation over the last month should take precedence. I’ll amend that; they want to see what they have in Stewart. Innings for Mountcastle would mean less for Stewart.

The easy solution is to give Mountcastle Trumbo's playing time.   Stewart isn't playing against lefties anyway.

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

He wouldn’t be getting full time reps with a promotion. It’s hardly enough time to properly evaluate him.

Yes, we get to watch Trumbo and Davis and Dwight Smith and DJ Stewart get at bats instead.  Hard to properly evaluate Mountcastle too when he is sitting at home getting zero reps.  They certainly could do it, but it is the clock issue, period.  Which is valid, but I wish they would just acknowledge it. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's a chance he could be average but I'd like to see him earn an outfield spot instead of us just handing it over to him.  

I believe he's at least earned a shot. It appears to me he has the highest ceiling of our outfielders.

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yes, we get to watch Trumbo and Davis and Dwight Smith and DJ Stewart get at bats instead.  Hard to properly evaluate Mountcastle too when he is sitting at home getting zero reps.  They certainly could do it, but it is the clock issue, period.  Which is valid, but I wish they would just acknowledge it. 

They can't acknowledge that they are planning on doing something which is a violation of the CBA.