More Developmental Personnel let Go

weams

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't disagree that he has every right to hire whomever he wants but someone suggested they were fired because of their age.  I don't think that is true but if it were it is against to law to discriminate on employees because of their age if they are over 40.  It would be the same thing as suggesting that they were fired due to their race or gender.  

Not even sure, why you would even think age?

A majority of these guys have already had something of a professional career, and this is their next stage of life.

Yes, I know, there is a minority of younger guys coaching, but thats just a couple in each org.

I think it has more to with experience and what do you bring that you can teach the guys.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But I keep hearing that term being used with Elias and not with those other names.  No one is suggesting that Dombrowski had full control.

I guess “full control” is being used to mean “the amount of control that most GM’s have,” as opposed to the more limited control that many Orioles GM’s have had under Angelos.   So maybe “full” isn’t perfectly accurate, but close enough for current purposes.

And by the way, I don’t necessarily subscribe to the notion that Elias is ready to jettison Davis but ownership won’t let him.   

All of these personnel changes raised my curiosity about pension plans.

From the MLB Pension Plan:
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/bhb/eng/mlb-0f0-pension-print.pdf

"You are eligible to participate in the Pension Plan if you were a member of the Pension Plan
on March 31, 2012, or if you are a player with one day of credited service with a Major
League club during a championship season after that date. If you work as a coach, a trainer,
an assistant trainer/physical therapist, or a manager
after that date, you are eligible to
participate in the Pension Plan if a club designates you to participate in the Pension Plan....."

Apparently, non-uniformed personnel (other than trainers and physical therapists) are eligible for a pension plan for/in which less than 500 individuals are eligible and/or participate.

So what about scouts, player oversight coordinators and front office employees?
https://www.brightscope.com/form-5500/basic-info/230063/St-Louis-Cardinals-Lp/13917507/Major-League-Baseball-Pension-Plan-For-Non-Uniformed-Personnel/2017/

For non-playing personnel, it's an insider's game -- mostly year-to-year job security, skimpy pay, and non-standardized performance measurement. I guess it really is "For Love of the Game"

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess “full control” is being used to mean “the amount of control that most GM’s have,” as opposed to the more limited control that many Orioles GM’s have had under Angelos.   So maybe “full” isn’t perfectly accurate, but close enough for current purposes.

And by the way, I don’t necessarily subscribe to the notion that Elias is ready to jettison Davis but ownership won’t let him.   

I think DD had more control then some under Peter, until Toronto came calling, and Peter went back to major micromanager due to a trust issue.

5 hours ago, atomic said:

Well if  they are firing people because of their ages then they should be fired themselves.  Never mind that it would be illegal.

Aren't most of the people being let go on contract?  Is there any suggestion that their contracts aren't being honored in regard to compensation?  Pretty hard to demonstrate age discrimination in any case.

12 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Aren't most of the people being let go on contract?  Is there any suggestion that their contracts aren't being honored in regard to compensation?  Pretty hard to demonstrate age discrimination in any case.

I didn't say they were.  mddotcom suggested age played a role.  And I replied that if it did than they would have broken the law.  

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Contract employees are not the same as full time employees anyway. And I am positive each one of them is getting every penny of their contracts.

Baseball is on many levels a very to year industry. 

We're approaching the 1 year mark for Elias.  IIRC, that's in early November so we're a couple months away.  I'd say so far it's been a pretty solid year.  I think some of us were disappointed that certain players didn't get called up this year but I think most of us were happy with how the system has developed.  We're probably not going to get the #1 pick and it's been a pretty crappy year at the ML level but we knew that going in...that said, I think we'd all rather watch this team than last years team.

But IMO, "Year 2" is really "Year 1" for Elias.  He'll have all his people in place.  He'll have had a full year to take stock of the minors and a full year to start setting up his draft board with Orioles needs in mind.  

Game time for Elias.  These "firings" or contracts not being renewed or whatever...well, game on.  Let's see what he's got.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, NCRaven said:

How many players shuffled through the Norfolk roster this year?  I suspect lots and that's pretty typical of a AAA team.  They roster a lot of guys that are marginal ML talents (i.e., AAAA players), have their pitchers bouncing up and down between Norfolk and Baltimore all year, etc..  Additionally, more top prospects were in Bowie than Norfolk this year.  A lot of challenges that the other minor league teams don't have to face.  I suspect Kendall and his staff did as well as they could given the talent level on that team.  

Of course, other than DL Hall, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent prospect that spent most of the season in Frederick and that staff wasn't cut any slack.  I suspect that the lack of any significant improvement from the few prospects that they had is what doomed Minor and his staff.

I suspect that they were pre-ordained to be doomed because Elias was always going to bring in people that think the way he does and have the background he wants, as soon as he could (it was too late last November to get people).

I don't think this year's results had much to do with it.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not trying to throw mud on Elias.

But, this makes no sense:

Elias said the total includes individuals at the Dominican academy who hadn’t been reported.