Orioles in the Outfield

now

A lot of outfielders are in the mix right now, and I'm wondering how it will all shake out by this time next year or by 2021. Looking just at in-house options, we have a depth chart something like this:

Santander / Williams / Stewart
Smith / Hays / Diaz
Mountcastle / Mullins / McKenna

Who are your top three predictions/preferences for 2020-21 (still looking at in-house options only)?

I'll take a stab:

Santander / Hays / Diaz
and hope Mountcastle can handle 1B. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, now said:

A lot of outfielders are in the mix right now, and I'm wondering how it will all shake out by this time next year or by 2021. Looking just at in-house options, we have a depth chart something like this:

Smith / Hays / Diaz

Who are your top three predictions/preferences for 2020-21 (still looking at in-house options only)?

I'll take a stab:

Santander / Hays / Diaz

I assume he is coming off the 40 man roster as he is not invited to sit on the bench for two weeks. 

40 minutes ago, weams said:

I assume he is coming off the 40 man roster as he is not invited to sit on the bench for two weeks. 

He ended the season on a high note, plus they have a lot of people to look at in the outfield already. Let him rest for 2 weeks instead of probably being on the bench with nothing to do.

Next year's opening day starting OF is probably Santander, Hays, Stewart with Williams getting a bench spot and Wilkerson as a super utility will get some OF innings too.  I think Smith is cut. Mountcastle, Mullins,  and Diaz start in AAA and McKenna repeats AA.

23 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Next year's opening day starting OF is probably Santander, Hays, Stewart with Williams getting a bench spot and Wilkerson as a super utility will get some OF innings too.  I think Smith is cut. Mountcastle, Mullins,  and Diaz start in AAA and McKenna repeats AA.

The only reason Mountcastle would start at AAA is if they are trying to fiddle with his service clock.  He has nothing to prove at AAA.  

2 hours ago, now said:

Smith / Hays / Diaz

I'll take a stab:

Santander / Hays / Diaz

I think we may see Mountcastle in LF next year but not on Opening Day. 

Next year I think it is Stewart/Hays/Santander with Mountcastle in LF later on. 

When Diaz arrives decisions will have to be made. Perhaps they can use DH to rotate some players. 

15 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The only reason Mountcastle would start at AAA is if they are trying to fiddle with his service clock.  He has nothing to prove at AAA.  

And they will "fiddle" with his service clock because it is what they should do.  Until the rules change.

2 hours ago, now said:

Smith / Hays / Diaz

I'll take a stab:

Santander / Hays / Diaz

Liked what I saw tonight. Short pop tonight over the IF, short of the OF. Hays came running in calling off Villar demonstratively. Take charge! ML play.

Mountcastle in left (at least by May, even though I agree they should start him there on opening day)

Hays in center (and hope he can stay healthy)

Santander in right (with Diaz challenging in another year or Hays eventually moving there if McKenna or some other prospect can take the job in center)

Mancini at first base

Archived