Whither Buck ?

Redskins Rick

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Oh I agree. Dan was the general manager, and player acquisition is his responsibility, but I’ve heard so much about Buck having the ear of Angelos That some of the blame May accrue to him. He sure seemed to want Tillman to come back despite being toast.

Other pitchers were thought in OH to be toast, Arrieta, Strop, Miggy, Norris, and a few others.

Heck look at Verlander, Tigers were so wanting to get rid of him, they sent $20 mil with him to Astros. 

Its such a fine line, between being able to get hitters out and getting knocked around, that its not always easy to see when somebody is done.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Other pitchers were thought in OH to be toast, Arrieta, Strop, Miggy, Norris, and a few others.

Heck look at Verlander, Tigers were so wanting to get rid of him, they sent $20 mil with him to Astros. 

Its such a fine line, between being able to get hitters out and getting knocked around, that its not always easy to see when somebody is done.

That’s a straw man argument. Tillman had surgery, was awful when he came back, and then someone thought, not only that he was worth a guaranteed 3 million major league contract( despite no one but the Tigers offered him even a minor league contract)but that it was not necessary to have a backup plan in case Tillman remained terrible, which he did.

24 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s a straw man argument. Tillman had surgery, was awful when he came back, and then someone thought, not only that he was worth a guaranteed 3 million major league contract( despite no one but the Tigers offered him even a minor league contract)but that it was not necessary to have a backup plan in case Tillman remained terrible, which he did.

When did Tillman have surgery?

30 minutes ago, weams said:

When did Tillman have surgery?

Didn’t he have surgery in December 16 or 17? I thought it was 16, he came back in 17, was awful all season and it was pretty clear either that the surgery hadn’t worked or he was just done, and then he was given his contract for ‘18 and released in May-ish.

Just now, Philip said:

Didn’t he have surgery in December 16 or 17? I thought it was 16, he came back in 17, was awful all season and it was pretty clear either that the surgery hadn’t worked or he was just done, and then he was given his contract for ‘18 and released in May-ish.

No. He did not have surgery to my knowledge. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

No. He did not have surgery to my knowledge. 

We assumed he must have been pitching while hurt, but no surgery.

Orioles right-hander Chris Tillman, who received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his shoulder in late December, said Wednesday morning that he's fairly confident he won't miss much regular-season time.
"It's feeling strong, it's feeling better, but you've got to do it right," said Tillman, who was plagued by the same inflammation in the second half of last season. "I don't want to do it wrong and just say, 'I'm going to go out there. I'm feeling better.' I want to do it the right way and get it behind us. That way, it's not an issue going forward."
Tillman pitched through a similar issue last August, hitting the disabled list just briefly, but when he went to pick up a ball this offseason, he still didn't feel good. He reached out to the team's training staff and got the PRP injection, which shut him down completely for several weeks after that and makes it possible he will open the season on the disabled list.

Britt Ghiroli, Feb 15, 2017 - https://www.mlb.com/news/chris-tillman-on-rehab-from-shoulder-injury-c216073746

• Upvote 1