Meoli: Blood/Sig/Elias setting the culture prior to new coaching hires

interloper

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-matt-blood-20191021-eegmuu5jljdedggis6nx463m6i-story.html

The Orioles’ setup might be different in that Elias and company have spent a year establishing the changes needed in the organization, from a philosophical standpoint to a staffing and structure one. With interim farm director Kent Qualls continuing as director of minor league operations with a focus on roster management and contracts, the infrastructure could be in place for Blood to be more focused on the big picture.

That’s what the first month of his time with the Orioles has been trained toward. The Orioles have plenty of coaching hires to make on the minor league side, and there might be some changes to structures and previous roles. So Blood said his initial tasks have been “setting the vision, making sure that we’re on the same page as to what our culture and processes are going to be.”

What that culture is, when he tells it, will be familiar with what the two men who brought him to Baltimore have preached at all of their previous stops, and in their first year here.

“We want to be growth-mindset, intrinsically motivated, evidence-based in our decision making, and not afraid to try things, not afraid to fail,” Blood said. “Very collaborative. No egos. We’re all wanting to work to build something together, and we’ll do that through having growth mindset and collaboration. That’s a big, big part of who we’re going to be, and I think through that, it creates a lot of excitement and energy and learning. We all learn a lot faster together than we do on our own.”

Blood acknowledged it all sounds high-concept and philosophical for now, especially for a player development role. But he’s also excited for the point when the Orioles are staffed up and he can dig into the players that will help determine whether this approach pans out. He knows a few Orioles players from his scouting days and USA Baseball, but is eager to get to work with them and help implement what they’re building.

I think we have a strong Orioles braintrust:

Elias

Sig

Perez

Blood

Holt

Pretty psyched about these 5 guys. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ExileAngelos said:

But is the culture damn good like with my Redskins?  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think there are some pretty harmful bacteria breeding in that particular culture.   

My favorite ranting comic Lewis Black is BOTH a Redskins and Orioles fan...here was an after concert rant about BOTH of his teams that he does spontaneously in response to texts from fans...

• Haha 3