How long before Elias promotes the young starters at AAA?

wildcard

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

His defense doesn't warrant him being inserted as a defensive replacement, especially if one thinks Mancini is at least average at first.  ?

Davis is not has good as he once was a first but he is still a good defensive first baseman IMO.

I will say that it seems that there are many who seemingly believe Mountcastle is at the very worst interchangeable with and likely will be a significantly better replacement over his career than Mancini....better hitter, better fielder.   I think the only thing he is better at at the moment is being younger and less expensive.    We shall see. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Davis hits like he did last season he is not going to place much.   Defensively replacement at first and come in when the game is out of hand to rest other players. I doubt the cut Davis until to management thinks they are ready to contend.

I agree.  But it will make the clubhouse a hard place to manage and affect the atmosphere of young players coming in, because Davis is not just going to sit on the bench for two years or more and be nice.  

I like Nunez for a team like the Orioles, cheap and easy to root for. That doesn’t mean that Elias has a high opinion on him. He is a DH who with pop who doesn’t get on base. I much rather watch him than some 33 year old retread but he blocks no one. 

Makes no sense to me that Mountcastle is not pushed at LF. We aren’t winning now, all the reason to see what he can do there. Best case moving forward is Mountcastle LF, Hays CF, Diaz -maybe late next year- RF, Santander 4th OF/DH and if he stays Trey at 1B. Nunez can be a bench bat and backup.  

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I will say that it seems that there are many who seemingly believe Mountcastle is at the very worst interchangeable with and likely will be a significantly better replacement over his career than Mancini....better hitter, better fielder.   I think the only thing he is better at at the moment is being younger and less expensive.    We shall see. 

I have no idea how good he will be. The facts are he turns 23 next year and Trey will be 28. It isn’t Trey’s fault his peak coincided with the Orioles rebuild but those are the facts.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Younger, less expensive and more team control.

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I agree.  But it will make the clubhouse a hard place to manage and affect the atmosphere of young players coming in, because Davis is not just going to sit on the bench for two years or more and be nice.  

Hopefully if he sits on the bench and doesn't behave that is cause enough to get ownership to act.

Just now, tntoriole said:

Davis will be a good citizen.    Cheerlead and mentor.  He knows that hitting is his problem and no one elses.  Of course he would like to play but he can see there are players hitting when he is not.  How long will that last?  Until Elias asks the owners to agree to cut him.   And I don't see that happening until the O's are ready to contend.

This team can’t run Smith out in LF and then turn around and be afraid to play Mountcastle out there. Plus we saw what they did in CF. 

As far as pitching goes Akin will get his chance but the rest will not be rushed because there is no reason to. They may get a late season call up.  Realistically you want them to be potential options in 2021.  

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I like Nunez for a team like the Orioles, cheap and easy to root for. That doesn’t mean that Elias has a high opinion on him. He is a DH who with pop who doesn’t get on base. I much rather watch him than some 33 year old retread but he blocks no one. 

Makes no sense to me that Mountcastle is not pushed at LF. We aren’t winning now, all the reason to see what he can do there. Best case moving forward is Mountcastle LF, Hays CF, Diaz -maybe late next year- RF, Santander 4th OF/DH and if he stays Trey at 1B. Nunez can be a bench bat and backup.  

In that scenario they don't  have to bench Nunez until Diaz is called to the majors.