Jealous

Frobby

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

To that I would say that 14 years is a short time in a league of 30 teams. For the old timers who predate the Nats, they should still be O's fans.

Hey hey hey!  I do resemble that and remember the Nats of Robert Short, Frank Howard and Mike Epstein.  I also remember the other Nats with Eddie Brinkman and Camilo Pascual.  But when I arrived there in 1966, the O's were something!  Hard not to fall in love with those crews.  But Tom Boswell of the WaPo made life so wonderful and loving his columns lately!

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When the Nats arrived I told myself they’d be my NL team.   I mean, why not have one?   For several years, I was part of a group that held season tickets to the Nats and went to about 5 games a year. And though I enjoyed going to those games, I could just never get passionate about the Nats.    I gave the tickets up when they jacked the price up by 67% a couple of years ago.     I haven’t paid to attend a Nats game since, though I’ve gone to a few when I was invited.    And the only time I watch them on TV during the regular season is if “O’s Extra” ends and they switch over to the Nats game.    If that happens, I’ll sometimes watch for an inning or so.   But I dislike their announcers, so I won’t watch long.   

Carpenter and Santangelo make it hard for me. I get not everyone has a guy with Palmer’s years of experience and insight but those two always gave me a Hawk Harrelson like vibe. 

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When the Nats arrived I told myself they’d be my NL team.   I mean, why not have one?   For several years, I was part of a group that held season tickets to the Nats and went to about 5 games a year. And though I enjoyed going to those games, I could just never get passionate about the Nats.    I gave the tickets up when they jacked the price up by 67% a couple of years ago.     I haven’t paid to attend a Nats game since, though I’ve gone to a few when I was invited.    And the only time I watch them on TV during the regular season is if “O’s Extra” ends and they switch over to the Nats game.    If that happens, I’ll sometimes watch for an inning or so.   But I dislike their announcers, so I won’t watch long.   

I tell myself I can't root for more than one team in a league (MLB being a league).  But then 1860 München and Unterhaching found themselves both in the 3. Liga.  I can't dump one of them.  If rooting for both is wrong, I don't want to be right.

But I still won't have a 2nd MLB team.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I tell myself I can't root for more than one team in a league (MLB being a league).  But then 1860 München and Unterhaching found themselves both in the 3. Liga.  I can't dump one of them.  If rooting for both is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I cant even have a 2nd team.

I wish them well, and would love to see a Parkway World Series, but I have no interest in watching or rooting for them.

I finally watched the last 2 innings of the 7th game  of the WS, I just had no interest in either side winning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I told myself the same thing.  Just couldn't get into it.  I'll watch their games sometimes but it's just not the same.

I do like their stadium a lot, I am not sure why it doesn't get better reviews.  That open concourse is really nice.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe now that they have won they won't feel a need to have such biased announcers.

I think we have had long threads in OH about the quality of lack of quality around the rest of MLB and their team announcers.

I know MASN guys are far from perfect, but, dang they are HOF compared to the Ken Harrelsons of the world, or whoever that dude is there in Stankee land.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I told myself the same thing.  Just couldn't get into it.  I'll watch their games sometimes but it's just not the same.

I do like their stadium a lot, I am not sure why it doesn't get better reviews.  That open concourse is really nice.

Everyone except the A's and the Rays have a really nice stadium now.  It loses some impact to be the 24th team to say "ohh look, we have a brand new stadium about as nice as Pittsburgh and Baltimore!"

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think we have had long threads in OH about the quality of lack of quality around the rest of MLB and their team announcers.

I know MASN guys are far from perfect, but, dang they are HOF compared to the Ken Harrelsons of the world, or whoever that dude is there in Stankee land.

I listen to the Rays' TV guys a lot, they are a quality team.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Oh, I’ve often rooted for more than one team, though it’s always been clear where my primary loyalties were.    In football, I was a Colts fan first, but also really liked the Cowboys during the Tom Landry era.     But when they played in the Super Bowl, my loyalties weren’t divided in the slightest.    

In college basketball, I’m probably the only fan in the world who rooted for Duke first (I’m an alum) and the Terps second (I grew up rooting for them).     (For context, Duke was the ACC doormat and an afterthought for Terps fans for several years before I arrived there in 1977, pre-Coach K.)

In pro basketball, I liked the Wilt Chamberlain Lakers teams first, the Bullets second.    When Wilt retired I lost interest in the Lakers and have stuck with the Bullets/Wizards since, though truth be told, I don’t care about pro basketball much.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I’ve often rooted for more than one team, though it’s always been clear where my primary loyalties were.    In football, I was a Colts fan first, but also really liked the Cowboys during the Tom Landry era.     But when they played in the Super Bowl, my loyalties weren’t divided in the slightest.    

In college basketball, I’m probably the only fan in the world who rooted for Duke first (I’m an alum) and the Terps second (I grew up rooting for them).     (For context, Duke was the ACC doormat and an afterthought for Terps fans for several years before I arrived there in 1977, pre-Coach K.)

In pro basketball, I liked the Wilt Chamberlain Lakers teams first, the Bullets second.    When Wilt retired I lost interest in the Lakers and have stuck with the Bullets/Wizards since, though truth be told, I don’t care about pro basketball much.   

In 1987-88 I had a brief dalliance with the Indians as my 2nd team.  But I just couldn't do it, it felt wrong. And when the O's lost the '97 ALCS to the Indians I dug my Cleveland hat out of the back of the closet and burned it.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In 1987-88 I had a brief dalliance with the Indians as my 2nd team.  But I just couldn't do it, it felt wrong. And when the O's lost the '97 ALCS to the Indians I dug my Cleveland hat out of the back of the closet and burned it.

That was a good time to have a brief dalliance with a 2nd team.   For that matter, now would be a good time, too.