It's Our Time!

connja

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can't stand the rosterbation and the MiL pickups.  

Seriously, this is every MiL pickup conversation ever:

"Orioles just acquired pitcher Joe Palooka from the Tigers and he will report to AA."

"Can't hurt, looks like he had a good season in the minors three years ago."

"Still has some upside, throws in the mid 90s.  Maybe with analytics we can turn him into something"

"Gotta wonder what Elias sees in this guy."

"Elias traded for this guy when he was in Houston and he had his best year ever there.  So there must be something there that he likes."

"Spring training invite?"

"OMG WHO ARE WE MOVING ON THE 40 MAN ROSTER FOR JOE PALOOKA!?!?!?"

"Hey, he's got options left."

"He can eat some innings."

"This guy was a 2nd round pick 8 years ago."

"Guys with 5.38 ERAs don't magically change overnight."

I'm not wrong about this.

You forgot "Print the playoff tickets".

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Renato Nunez just hit 30 homers. Hanser Alberto finished top 5ish in the AL in Avg. Severino had a nice year.  

I agree with Scott, Elias had a year to evaluate everyone. I think we see more turnover of the bottom part of the 40 man than last year. More waiver claims. More rule 5 picks. More spin rate. 

I wouldn't have any problem with the Orioles waiving Severino and Nunez.   Nunez only had 1.1 WAR.  We have plenty of other guys who we could plug into DH.  Severino is an absolutely horrible catcher.   And he didn't hit the last two months of the season.  

Alberto is the only guy I would keep going forward.   

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Can't stand the rosterbation and the MiL pickups.  

Seriously, this is every MiL pickup conversation ever:

"Orioles just acquired pitcher Joe Palooka from the Tigers and he will report to AA."

"Can't hurt, looks like he had a good season in the minors three years ago."

"Still has some upside, throws in the mid 90s.  Maybe with analytics we can turn him into something"

"Gotta wonder what Elias sees in this guy."

"Elias traded for this guy when he was in Houston and he had his best year ever there.  So there must be something there that he likes."

"Spring training invite?"

"OMG WHO ARE WE MOVING ON THE 40 MAN ROSTER FOR JOE PALOOKA!?!?!?"

"Hey, he's got options left."

"He can eat some innings."

"This guy was a 2nd round pick 8 years ago."

"Guys with 5.38 ERAs don't magically change overnight."

I'm not wrong about this.

Would you rather talk football?

George Carlin begs to differ.

seriously, though, this made me laff laff.

And you’re right. You could even identify which hangout member makes which comment.

so what?

winter is long.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Would you rather talk football?

George Carlin begs to differ.

seriously, though, this made me laff laff.

And you’re right. You could even identify which hangout member makes which comment.

so what?

winter is long.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people talk about it and I certainly understand why these transactions are made...it's just super repetitive.  I also don't understand the hand wringing for 40 man roster spots.  I mean, if a guy is on the fringe, he's on the fringe...and moves can't be made for fear of losing a guy and him catching on somewhere else and turning into Jose Bautista.   

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wouldn't have any problem with the Orioles waiving Severino and Nunez.   Nunez only had 1.1 WAR.  We have plenty of other guys who we could plug into DH.  Severino is an absolutely horrible catcher.   And he didn't hit the last two months of the season.  

Alberto is the only guy I would keep going forward.   

Don’t get rid of a guy until you have someone better, and DO get rid of a guy once you have someone better. Nunez probably duplicates what we already have.

The Rangers just traded for Castillo and will pay him a buyout and dump him, so maybe we could bring him back cheap, but his defense is dreadful. But he’s doubtless the first of several reasonable catching options to come available.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people talk about it and I certainly understand why these transactions are made...it's just super repetitive.  I also don't understand the hand wringing for 40 man roster spots.  I mean, if a guy is on the fringe, he's on the fringe...and moves can't be made for fear of losing a guy and him catching on somewhere else and turning into Jose Bautista.   

Oh I agree with you completely.

”ten angels can dance on the head of a pin.”

”no, you fool, 12 angels can dance on the head of a pin.”

”you’re both fools! It depends on their spin rate!”

”and their foot speed!”

but what else we got?

( meanwhile the clock goes tick-tick)

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

Don’t get rid of a guy until you have someone better, and DO get rid of a guy once you have someone better. Nunez probably duplicates what we already have.

The Rangers just traded for Castillo and will pay him a buyout and dump him, so maybe we could bring him back cheap, but his defense is dreadful. But he’s doubtless the first of several reasonable catching options to come available.

I would rather have a top defensive catcher who hits like Chris Davis than to keep Severino.  I think the young pitchers coming up deserve a good defense on the field.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can assign names to half of those comments.

The last one is me.

Moose missed a couple really obvious ones:

"Palooka had a 1.63 ERA with Oklahoma City in two starts and 11 innings at the end of the year, so he's a lock for the O's rotation."

"I don't understand why Elias is trying to win 28 games again next year.  It's a disgrace.  When are we getting a real GM/owner/players/fans/universe?"

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The last one is me.

"Palooka had a 1.63 ERA with Oklahoma City in two starts and 11 innings at the end of the year, so he's a lock for the O's rotation."

"I don't understand why Elias is trying to win 28 games again next year.  It's a disgrace.  When are we getting a real GM/owner/players/fans/universe?"

Added.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I would rather have a top defensive catcher who hits like Chris Davis than to keep Severino.  I think the young pitchers coming up deserve a good defense on the field.  

I agree completely, and I also am pretty sure that if they find a good defensive catcher, they will let Wynns go. Sisco has been terrible But they aren’t going to give up on him yet, and Severino still has potential, even though he didn’t dazzle.

But they won’t let anybody go until they find somebody better.

56 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The last one is me.

Just citing ERA doesn't sound like you,. maybe you if you were in a hurry. 

• Haha 1