Would this team get you excited heading into 2009?

Sports Guy

1st- Tex

2nd- BRob

SS- Greene

3rd- Mora

LF- Scott

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Huff

C- Wieters

Guthrie

Garland

DCab

2 of Olson, Penn, Liz, Bergesen

Sherrill

Ray

JJ

Walker

Sarfate/FCab

2 of the guys who don't make the rotation(if Bergesen doesn't make it, he goes to AAA)

Reimold gets 400ish at bats off the bench as a DH/LFer

Be nice to trade Walker.

I assume Ramon is traded..Quiroz brought back as back up catcher.

Perhaps Constanzo on the bench and then a super UTI type guy that can play the MI positions and the OF...In other words, a better Bynum.

Like this team? What would you expect this to do, record wise?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1st- Tex

2nd- BRob

SS- Greene

3rd- Mora

LF- Scott

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Huff

C- Wieters

Guthrie

Garland

DCab

Sherrill

Ray

JJ

Walker

Sarfate/FCab

2 of the guys who don't make the rotation(if Bergesen doesn't make it, he goes to AAA)

Be nice to trade Walker.

Perhaps Constanzo on the bench and then a super UTI type guy.

Like this team?

I really like the offense. The starting rotation is a little iffy, but could be solid if 2 of Bergesen/Penn/Olson/Liz/Hernandez step up as effective ML starters.

To answer your question, yes it would get me excited.

I like the lineup, the rotation worries me a bit. Liz still seems destined for the pen, I see Bergesen starting in Norfolk, which leaves Olson and Penn. I'm hoping Olson can prove and solidify himself as a 4/5 starter, but I'm awful hesitant to pencil Penn into anything except maybe the DL.

1st- Tex

2nd- BRob

SS- Greene

3rd- Mora

LF- Scott

CF- Jones

RF- Markakis

DH- Huff

C- Wieters

Looks good so far.

Guthrie

Garland

DCab

I'd prefer Burnett instead of Garland. Guthrie-Burnett would make a nice 1-2 punch. It's not Zambrano-Harden or Sheets-Sabathia, but it's a step in the right direction.

Sherrill

Ray

JJ

Walker

Sarfate/FCab

Here's where I start to get worried. This pen looks "okay" on paper, but the fickleness of relievers from year-to-year always worries me.

Be nice to trade Walker.

Perhaps Constanzo on the bench and then a super UTI type guy that can play the MI positions and the OF...In other words, a better Bynum.

Like this team? What would you expect this to do, record wise?

As I said in another thread, I doubt Reimold ever gets a shot with the O's. He'll be used as tradebait this offseason.

I'm also worried that the O's, not wanting to start Wieters service clock too early, will have Wieters start the 2009 season at AAA.

What gets me excited as well is that instead of bringing up the likes of Liz, Olson and Waters we'll be bringing up the Tillmans and Arrietas towards the end of the year. Yipee!!
Only if Norfolk isn't pushing for the playoffs :)

That is very likely an 85-90 win team on paper and would contend for the WC. All we need to do is find replacements for Huff and Mora in 2010 and we'll be in the hunt for the division as well. Snyder might be ready to replace Mora in 2010 depending on how he does at Bowie next season.

That offense would be very solid, but the pitching is no where near what it needs to be.

You need the top of the rotation to provide either 4 pitchers with ten wins a piece or 3 pitchers with a combined 40 wins, and I don't see that happening. I would love to see DCAB be the number 4 pitcher next year. He would be great in that role, but that means getting two of Sheets, Sabathia, Lowe, Garland, Dempster, Penny, or Mussina if you really want to make next year be the year to compete. I think if you don't get either of the first two you need two of the next five.

I think the lowest I could get excited with for the purpose of contention is:

Guthrie

Garland/ Penny (3 years)

Lowe/ Mussina (2 years max)

Cabrera

The revolving door that is whoever steps up.

Archived