2019 #4 Prospect: Ryan Mountcastle - LF/1B

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not too surprising that the younger MVP’s have the better major league careers.   

Agreed, and a bit surprised how poorly the age 27+ winners had performed in their ML careers. Perhaps the true prospects get called up, and the veteran fodder builds up counting stats waiting for someone to get hurt.

2 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

Agreed, and a bit surprised how poorly the age 27+ winners had performed in their ML careers. Perhaps the true prospects get called up, and the veteran fodder builds up counting stats waiting for someone to get hurt.

Not too many prospects that do well spend enough time in AAA to win these types of awards. 

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not too many prospects that do well spend enough time in AAA to win these types of awards. 

But the 22 year olds that do win the award seem to do pretty well when they do get promoted.  You still haven't convinced me that another month in AAA would hurt either Mountcastle or the Orioles.  And I think that Elias can make the argument that Mountcastle still has some holes in his game that more time in Norfolk could help.  I don't think it's a big deal either way.

22 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

But the 22 year olds that do win the award seem to do pretty well when they do get promoted.  You still haven't convinced me that another month in AAA would hurt either Mountcastle or the Orioles.  And I think that Elias can make the argument that Mountcastle still has some holes in his game that more time in Norfolk could help.  I don't think it's a big deal either way.

The question is, will we think it’s a big deal in 2025?     There’s a pretty wide variance of outcomes for Mountcastle.     Let’s just assume for argument’s sake that he’s an equivalent player to Mancini.    Will it be bumming us out in 2025 that he’s eligible for FA at the end of the year, as opposed to being under control for one more season?   I say yes.    But there’s no way to know exactly how good he’ll be, whether the O’s will try to extend him, etc.

25 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

You don't think a September call up would have been useful for his development?

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think a September call up would have been useful for his development?

I don't know that a few at bats in September 2019 are more valuable than the at bats that he'll get in May or June 2020 for his long-term development.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

None. Just gets him AB's. We all know he's not making the team out of ST.  Moving him around makes it easier to bring him on every road game and play him somewhere.  From all reports, RF is a waste of time as well.  He's either going to be a LF, 1B, or DH.

Why isn’t he making the team out of ST?