This has me worried...

ChaosLex

It was music to the ears of free agents, and their agents.

With typical Steinbrennerian certitude, new New York Yankees owner Hank Steinbrenner indicated his team is ready to open its wallet in the offseason, especially if the current downturn is not corrected and the team misses the playoffs for the first time since 1995.

“We’re going to win it next year,” Steinbrenner said. “If we need to add a top veteran pitcher, we’ll do that. We’ll do whatever we need to do. Next year we’ll be extremely dangerous.”

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/123285

Looks like the Yankees so-so record has convinced Hank to break the bank on several free agents this offseason. While I don't think contention is impossible, it's definitely an uphill climb against the likes of the Red Sux, Skanks, and resurgent Rays. :(

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let 'em spend.

After winning 4 World Series in 5 years, they went out and signed Mike Mussina...and lost in the World Series in 2001.

So they went out and signed Jason Giambi...and got bounced in the first riund of the playoffs in 2002.

So they looked to Japan and signed Godzilla -Hideki Matsui- and lost another Series in 2003.

So they traded for A-Rod...and became the biggest chokers in baseball history in 2004.

So they traded for Randy Johnson...and lost in the first round in 2005.

So they signed free agent Johnny Damon...and lost in the first round again in 2006.

So they lured back Roger Clemens again...and failed to survive the first round in 2007.

So they changed managers...and appear likely to miss the playoffs in 2008.

Back when they had Scott Brosius, Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, Jeff Nelson , etc...they went 46-15 in poxt-season games from 1996-2000, so I don't want to hear about the October "crapshoot" either...

Yanks are in serious trouble. They stay with their band-aid approach of acquiring middle aged-aging stars sky rocketing their payroll and ignoring grooming their own minor leaguers. They haven't bridged the gap with young, home-grown cheap talent mixed in with middle aged and old stars like the Angels, Cubs, and Red Sox have done. I love it.

Watch Teixeira sign with them, ending the dream of a few diehards here.

He'll have to turn down the most $ because Angelos will match or even exceed the Yankees offer. Ditto for the Sux. He won't let Tex go to a division rival.

The worries are the Mets and the Angels.

I've read the Yankees are looking at Dunn instead of Tex anyway...

Yankees are slowing becoming the next-2000s Orioles.. Hank Frankensteinbrenner will sign veterans for outrageous money, minors will get weaker and weaker and finally they become 2005 Orioles. They'll need to do some serious rebuilding to do in years like we're doing right now. As lons as the Yankees suck I"m fine.

Yanks are in serious trouble. They stay with their band-aid approach of acquiring middle aged-aging stars sky rocketing their payroll and ignoring grooming their own minor leaguers. They haven't bridged the gap with young, home-grown cheap talent mixed in with middle aged and old stars like the Angels, Cubs, and Red Sox have done. I love it.

And it doesn't help when their draft picks spurn them. When has that ever happened to the Yankees?

Just goes to show not everybody wants to be a Yankee...

Watch Teixeira sign with them, ending the dream of a few diehards here.

I'm starting to lean toward this being a longer-shot than most people think.

I'm just looking at the Yankees and, IMO, the glaring needs are rotation and bullpen help. I think it's more likely that they make a strong push for Sabathia, Sheets, and K-Rod if they're desperate enough to overpay him to be a setup guy. They could sign K-Rod long-term with the thought that he steps in for Rivera in a few years.

Certainly the Yankees will have a hole at 1st in the offseason that Tex would fill, but I think their first priority will be the more glaring need of pitching.

He'll have to turn down the most $ because Angelos will match or even exceed the Yankees offer. Ditto for the Sux. He won't let Tex go to a division rival.

Tex seems very happy here and the Angels are certainly hoping to keep him. He was quoted in the LA Times recently saying "The contract doesn't matter" and "what I'm looking for is a team that wants to win and a place where my family will be happy, the economics will take care of itself". He has also said that his asking for a ten year contract is a fabrication of Rosenthals.

That actually makes more sense for them than Tex. I just hope those "old-player skills" come out in full-force.

Tex seems very happy here and the Angels are certainly hoping to keep him. He was quoted in the LA Times recently saying "The contract doesn't matter" and "what I'm looking for is a team that wants to win and a place where my family will be happy, the economics will take care of itself". He has also said that his asking for a ten year contract is a fabrication of Rosenthals.

He was also "very happy" in Atlanta, but turned down a large extension offer.

We won't know anything until he signs on the dotted-line. He's just going to keep spewing what the local fans want to hear.

Did you think the Yankees were going to sit back and not spend money? You can worry about it but it's nothing new. The Orioles have to do it, mainly, by developing their own and supplementing that with free agents. Until they start developing their own prospects, nothing's really going to change.

Yankees have a top 5 farm system.

www.baseballamerica.com

Archived