Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So he will go through the arb process?

Yeah, I mean if he cleared waivers or was non-tendered, he wouldn’t be the Orioles property to trade (unless he cleared waivers and accepted a minor league assignment, which I can guarantee didn’t happen).

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, I mean if he cleared waivers or was non-tendered, he wouldn’t be the Orioles property to trade (unless he cleared waivers and accepted a minor league assignment, which I can guarantee didn’t happen).

The Marlins will have to go through the arb process with him?

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nobody wonders why attendance is down right now.   It was a point of useful discussion in 2016-17.    Since then, the equation is simple: losing —> lower attendance.    And guess what?   It will continue going down until the team starts winning much more often than it is right now.    Elias knows that.    The Angelos family knows that.   We all know that.     And if you don’t want to pay to watch the team as they go through the demolition stage of their rebuild, then don’t.    Nobody’s going to take your Oriole fan card away if you don’t want to pay to watch this.    

For me, I’ve decided to trust the process for at least a couple of years.   I like going to baseball games too much to stop going.    Will I go to fewer games than I would if they were winning?    Sure.    But it’s not because I feel betrayed.  It’s not because I think the team is being greedy, or disloyal.    For me, they’re doing what they think they need to do to turn the team around in the most efficient way possible.   It’s not pretty.    I hope it works.   

What do you call a team with a low payroll who cuts a guy because he might cost 3-5 more million a year? What do you call a team that insists on keeping their $20 million plus albatross on the roster but gives away it's 28-year old middle infielder coming off a 4-win season?

I guess you call that part of the process. I believe the process was on target with or without Villar so why not allow your fans to have a little enjoyment while you rebuild? I believe this is all about the bottom line of making money for your owner while you rebuild, perhaps so they'll pay later. The question is will that work? 

Again, it's not the end of the world that Villar was given away, but let's call it what it is and that's a bottom line move that only makes the owners more money.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What do you call a team with a low payroll who cuts a guy because he might cost 3-5 more million a year? What do you call a team that insists on keeping their $20 million plus albatross on the roster but gives away it's 28-year old middle infielder coming off a 4-win season?

I guess you call that part of the process. I believe the process was on target with or without Villar so why not allow your fans to have a little enjoyment while you rebuild? I believe this is all about the bottom line of making money for your owner while you rebuild, perhaps so they'll pay later. The question is will that work? 

Again, it's not the end of the world that Villar was given away, but let's call it what it is and that's a bottom line move that only makes the owners more money.

Another question is will that happen?  The Angelos brothers are uncharted territory when it comes to spending to support a competitive team.  Nobody can point to any history when it comes to how they'll act when the rebuilding reaches critical mass. Fingers crossed that this isn't a precursor to Tampa Bay v2.0.

Since they got a player back, I don't hate it as much. 

Still very much against. I think he was traded when his value was at its lowest in the annual cycle. The fact that at least one team was interested at $10 mill suggests his value would be higher as a midseason pickup for a contender.

I now intensely dislike this decision instead of hating it.  Acquiring this guy has the same likelihood of helping the Orioles future as simply cutting Villar would.  But something is infinitesimally more than nothing.  So I’m lowering my disgust level from 10 to 9.

9 minutes ago, gtown said:

Since they got a player back, I don't hate it as much. 

Still very much against. I think he was traded when his value was at its lowest in the annual cycle. The fact that at least one team was interested at $10 mill suggests his value would be higher as a midseason pickup for a contender.

But it’s the MARLINS. That also spells SLARMIN. And the FO over there can’t tell the difference.

25 minutes ago, MGH5208 said:

You've been so against this move from the beginning.  

any thoughts on the end result? 

Honestly, It depends

I will say that I'd like some clarification for certain if there were claims. It seems to me there must have claims because Villar would have been granted free agency.

If there were claims, I think we sold Villar for pennies on the dollar by doing the waiver process. (or by announcing we were going to nontender him).

****IMO they should have tendered him and tried to trade him. They likely could work out a contract that they could live with and hope to trade him later in the offseason or at the deadline****

With that said, I am happy we got something and hopefully Lucas blossoms into a piece for the future.

I enjoy watching Orioles games and have been a fan since the 70s. I hate losing and am hoping for some entertaining baseball this summer.

As I mentioned Villar was my favorite current player and I think he had a hell of a year. Finally, I think he is young enough to still be here and productive in a few years when we are playing meaningful games again.

Now I have to turn the page and find a new favorite Oriole

I hope this answers your questions and allows us to move forward

Cheers!

• Upvote 2