Modern Committee HoF elections: Marvin Miller, Ted Simmons

Moose Milligan

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28255797/union-executive-marvin-miller-catcher-ted-simmons-elected-baseball-hall-fame

Miller should have been in years ago.  Can't tell the history of baseball without mentioning him.  Not getting in while he was alive was a travesty.

Don't know much about Simmons but he seems to be one of the premier catchers of his day.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I feel bad for Dale Murphy & Lou Whitaker.

Yeah, Murphy was the best player in baseball for a few years there.  His run just wasn't long enough, it seems. 

I can only think that Whitaker must have run over somebody's puppy or something, as he seems to check an awful lot of boxes to be a HOF player.  How on earth he didn't garner at least 5% of the baseball writers' vote in his first year of eligibility defies explanation.  One of the best second basemen in the game for a lot of years.  Pretty much had all the tools.  75.1 career WAR.  Average HOF player 69.4 career WAR.  Top three comps on BBRef are Sandberg, Trammell, and Alomar, with 3 other HOFers in his top ten.  Trammell and Whitaker were the heart and soul of a very good Tigers team for a lot of years.  He must have pissed off somebody along the way somehow.

There's something weird about the stank on 70s and 80s ballplayers that a lot of them aren't getting in.  I know they're being judged by modern day writers that are smitten with OBP and advanced stats but Dale Murphy, Steve Garvey, Whitaker and some others were considered HoFers when they were playing.  

• Upvote 1