Luke's 2019 Rule 5 Draft Preference List

Luke-OH

1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

@Luke-OH Thanks for this list. Tons and tons of detail. 

I think the O's are looking for ceiling with a pitcher rather than a higher floor which makes me think Wandisson Charles. But a stash year might really deter his development. Any thoughts on whether command can realistically be developed in an MLB year as opposed to a minor league year?

Is it accurate to say that Yonny Hernandez and Jose Fermin would provide adequate MLB SS defense today? And which winds up with the better career?

Fermin has a chance to be a starter, Yonny’s ceiling is above average utility guy. Yonny has a half a year in AA and is more polished in general. I’m not sure if Fermin’s defense is polished yet, but he’d play solid defense I think.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

I'm a little surprised this kind of relative talent is available in the Rule 5.

It suggests we have a long way to go.

Great work as always.  And I look forward to the draft.

The only guys that’d be in the top 15 are in A ball. So it’s not that surprising. I think it’s less about the quality of the system (which is pretty good) and more about the difficulty carrying a guy in A ball all year.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Fermin has a chance to be a starter, Yonny’s ceiling is above average utility guy. Yonny has a half a year in AA and is more polished in general. I’m not sure if Fermin’s defense is polished yet, but he’d play solid defense I think.

Thanks. The detail you put into each profile takes away a lot of the questions. 

I appreciate it.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

@Luke-OHDoes the Orioles' apparent willingness to trade their first pick suggest anything to you about who they might be looking at? 

Maybe a system pitcher. Spin rate, vertical spin axis type.

I don’t know what the industry opinion is on who is going first. 

Barlow would be my guess if I had to bet on the first pick.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spl51 said:

I feel like there's no reason for us to keep Dwight Smith Jr. over him, but for some reason I doubt we'll do it. I guess outfielders are just not a priority for us.

I think "priority" is the right word. Pitcher and SS is where all signs lean so far.