Lindor - Why Not?

now

15 minutes ago, now said:

As a general principle, correct. But at some point it will make sense to trade a young Mountcastle type for a prime-time prime-position type like Lindor. I'm by no means attached to doing it now, but just starting to wonder... When?

I disagree. Mountcastle will be a great hitter and player for the Orioles for six seasons. 

Just now, Frobby said:

How do you define “great?”     Do you think he’ll be a better or worse (1) hitter and (2) overall player than Mancini?

Oh, he may be Adam Jones or Pre-Oriole Nelson Cruz. I think his floor is similar to what we have seen from Mancini, who has outperformed every speculation of his ceiling. 

Just now, weams said:

Oh, he may be Adam Jones or Pre-Oriole Nelson Cruz. I think his floor is similar to what we have seen from Mancini, who has outperformed every speculation of his ceiling. 

Over all player? Mountcastle is a superior athlete. I think he will easily replicate anything Trey does in the field. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And he's two years younger at the same place (putting aside service manipulation games).

Trey has done great as a limited positional college hitter. He well outperformed his teammate Jagielo, who the Yankees selected eight rounds ahead of him as a first rounder. 

I completely agree that he would be a great fit and exactly the type to build around. However, trading for him does not guarantee that we will get him in free agency. We would basically be trading for the right to stick him with a QO. I also think Davis's contract is going to hamstring us in our ability to make competitive offers to any big free agents. I don't see any move like this until Davis' money is off the books.

4 hours ago, now said:

Lindor is a stud, a franchise SS, and he's only 26. His name/age jumps out from MLB's "All Trade-Rumor Team."

I know the Houston (and Elias) plan says, "Develop from within first, then sign the big ticket items to get you to the very top." And where are we now, still 2-3 years away from contention? But suppose we traded for Lindor and signed him for 7-8 years. His age 26-27 years might be "wasted," but then we'd have him from age 28 on, when we should be ready to contend with our raft of homegrown talent (Rutschman, Mountcastle, G. Rodriguez, Diaz, etc.) and other acquisitions between now and then.

What would it take to get him? I don't know Cleveland's needs, but let's start with Mancini-Givens-Means and see where that gets us. (That's a better package than Pappas-Baldschun-Simpson, if you know what I mean!).

Why Not?

I'd love to have Lindor as much as anyone, but this is definitely not a trade that should even be considered at this point, and neither should any other trades that would require trading our top prospects.

He'll be a FA in 2 years and definitely be gone, along with whatever we traded for him, setting us back even further because I can't see the front office spending over 300 million to keep him.

This is the type of trade we make 2-3 years from now when Lindor is the last piece to the puzzle, and trading from the prospect depth won't hurt as much.

6 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Two of the three and Mountcastle or Diaz?

As Luke said, we’d obviously be better off waiting until he’s a FA (not that I think we have any chance of signing him).

Adley and an add on piece or two (not Hall, GRod, Hays, Diaz, or Baumann) would be enough. Yes, Lindor is insanely valuable, but so is a prospect like Adley. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, weams said:

Should I infer from this post that you think Jones was a better hitter than Mancini?    If so, that’s highly questionable.    Mancini’s 135 OPS+ last year was better than any year Jones ever had.    His overall 120 OPS+ (at ages 25-27) is better than Jones’ 118 in that same age range.   And Jones was downhill from there.

Overall player, there’s no comparison.    But solely as a hitter, you can make the argument for Mancini even though he was much older when he reached the majors.   I’d be really happy if Mountcastle turned out that well as a hitter.