Best (team) draft of all time?

Anyone want to make a nominee for best team draft of all time?    I’ll start with the 2009 Angels:

Trout 72.5 rWAR

Corbin 17.5 

Grichuk 9.7

Richards 7.0

Skaggs 3.0

D. Carpenter -0.5

They drafted two others who didn’t sign and made the majors for other teams.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Anyone want to make a nominee for best team draft of all time?    I’ll start with the 2009 Angels:

Trout 72.5 rWAR

Corbin 17.5 

Grichuk 9.7

Richards 7.0

Skaggs 3.0

D. Carpenter -0.5

They drafted two others who didn’t sign and made the majors for other teams.

Using Trout in something like this seems akin to using a cheat code.

He might very well end up being the best player of the draft era.

I see your post and the only thing I can think to do is to see who else the Pirates drafted in 1985.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Using Trout in something like this seems akin to using a cheat code.

He might very well end up being the best player of the draft era.

I see your post and the only thing I can think to do is to see who else the Pirates drafted in 1985.

Well, I think you could argue that total WAR shouldn’t be the criterion.    If some team drafted 5 players of 10+ including a couple of 30+ I think one could argue for that.    But that Angels draft was really good even if Trout had “only” been a 30-40 WAR guy.   

I came up with that Tigers draft on my own, but here’s an article claiming that to be the best ever, and listing some others:

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2018/05/22/morris-trammell-were-part-of-greatest-draft-haul-ever/

The article ranks the Orioles ‘78 draft (Ripken, Boddicker) no. 3, and the ‘73 draft (Murray, Flanagan) no. 7. 

On 12/27/2019 at 9:13 PM, backwardsk said:

1999 Orioles?

I’ll see myself out.

People always criticize that draft, but it yielded Roberts and Bedard.    Yeah we had some first round flops but the overall yield of that draft was solid even if you take into account the extra picks we had.   

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2019 at 3:18 PM, Frobby said:

Here’s a pretty good one: the Angels got Alan Trammell (70.7 rWAR), Jack Morris (43.4), Dan Petry (17.0) and 5 other guys who reached the majors in 1976.     They also drafted Ozzie Smith in the 7th round, but he didn’t sign.   

That’s an impressive draft   Petry was a good No.2 for a few years. 

Here’s a pretty good one: the Angels got Alan Trammell (70.7 rWAR), Jack Morris (43.4), Dan Petry (17.0) and 5 other guys who reached the majors in 1976.     They also drafted Ozzie Smith in the 7th round, but he didn’t sign.   

Angels?  Looks like Tigers.  Was there a big trade?

Edit:  Never mind.  I see you said Tigers in the next post.

• Thanks 1

Here’s a pretty good one: the Tigers got Alan Trammell (70.7 rWAR), Jack Morris (43.4), Dan Petry (17.0) and 5 other guys who reached the majors in 1976.     They also drafted Ozzie Smith in the 7th round, but he didn’t sign.   

Ozzie Smith was a college student when they drafted him and looks like he was a junior.  So kind of surprising he didn't sign with them.