Maryland vs Indiana

Tony-OH

On our way to a blow out.  As bad as we've shot today, Indiana has been much worse.  Jalen Smith and Wiggins have played well and we've done a good job as a team getting to the line.  Only five turnovers with seven minutes left.  That's a breath of fresh air. 

Not very impressed with Marial.  Does not seem very strong and even though he's 7'2 does not seem to have very good timing with his jumps with much shorter players scoring over him.   Went straight into a shorter defender and got blocked on the one possession where I saw them feed him.  Offensive game seems limited. 

iAfter a slow start, this was the team we had hope we'd see. After about five minutes into the second half, they totally started playing out of the minds in all aspect of the game.

Morsell really stepped up this game along with the smith and even Wiggens looked better overall though he still looks lost at times out there.

Agreed about Marial, this was my first look and he looks a very long way from being an offensive threat. He's way too weak for this level offensively, but he does change some shots on the defensive side and will pick up some high rebounds.

It was a nice win, but we've seen how inconsistent this team can be and they were able to take advantage of an an Indiana team that is actually poorer then they are at shooting the 3.

Maryland is at it's best when it can run because Turgeon has no offensive plan other than play globetrotter ball around the 3-point line before someone driving and then kicking at for a three.

The Terps were able to run and were more athletic than Indiana. 

Nice to see, but don't get too excited because they still got off to a slow start and were only up by five a few minutes after half until they went on an amazing run that made the game look much worse than it really was.

Basically the Terps played out of their minds for about 10 minutes and looked like the team that lost to Seton Hall for the other 30.

6 hours ago, vatech1994 said:

Nice win.  A few thoughts:

1) For anyone who didn’t watch the game, the lead was 30 with 3:44 to go before getting closer in garbage time.  This was an old fashioned ass whooping.

2) The ass whooping was especially impressive considering that nobody had a super offensive game and Cowen actually struggled a bit offensively.

3) That was the best I’ve seen Stix play overall.  He was impressive today.

4) 5 turnovers with 3:44 left in the game was really nice to see

5) I though Mariol looked rusty, but I can see the potential.  I wasn’t disappointed.  He needs minutes and they said he was still really sore after just hard practices.

6) If Wiggins can start hitting his jumpers, he will instantly become the best player on the team by a fair margin.  He has crazy talent in all facets.  He can dribble, pass, drive, rebound, score inside, score in transition, mid-range.  He has height, length, can jump, is pretty quick.  That dunk off the drive in the half court offense was truly something to behold.

7) #21 Penn State beat #23 Iowa today to go 12-2.  They will be top 20 next week IMO.  The Penn St loss wasn’t a “bad” loss by any stretch.

8. Marquette, who we killed to win the Orlando Classic, beat #10 Villanova by 11 today.  That win continues to look better and better.

9) The best news by far to me is that the team looked happier from minute 1 today.  They played with much less stress and actual happiness throughout the game.  That was really good to see.  I wonder if that was because the twins have been gone for a week now or something else.

Lets see if they can keep this going.  Today’s win was very impressive for how easy it was without good shooting.  I want to see them beat Ohio State on Tuesday.

I'm with you on most of these points and I like Wiggins, but I'm not quite as high on him.  He shows flashes.  I don't think he has a great handle, and his body control and touch in the lane I would categorize as weaknesses.  But those things can be improve upon.  He is athletic and can hit an open three.  

I never though Maryland was a top five team or as bad as they were playing the last couple weeks.  When we don't turn over the ball in double digits we are pretty hard to beat.  Should be fun the rest of the way in a very deep conference. 

On 1/4/2020 at 6:00 PM, vatech1994 said:

9) The best news by far to me is that the team looked happier from minute 1 today.  They played with much less stress and actual happiness throughout the game.  That was really good to see.  I wonder if that was because the twins have been gone for a week now or something else.

I was at the game early because Maryland sold $25 student seats to the general public and I wanted to get a good seat, and I noticed during warmups how loose and happy everybody seemed. Definitely felt like a good omen and it was.

Looking forward to the Ohio State game tomorrow, although with their loss to Wisconsin on Friday (and their loss to WVU last Sunday) they may fall out of the top 10.