The Astros and Red Sox Punishments

weams

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The punishments better be more than just suspensions for the GMs / coaches. Heavy fines...forfeiting of draft picks...etc. MLB needs to send a message that the risk doesn't outweigh the reward when it comes to cheating. Same with the NFL and the Patriots for that matter. 

I think that perhaps you meant to say that the risk does outweigh the reward.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Todd-O said:

News is saying that Alex Cora has been implicated in Astros cheating during 2017 and could possibly be punished for that... which leads my mind directly to Mike Elias.

It would be just the Orioles luck to have a former Astros executive, turned Orioles savior, go down in a heap of flames over something like this.

Anyone else let their mind slip to the possibility that Elias is also wrapped up in this?

I'm not too worried about this.  Unlike Cora, the duties Elias had with Houston appear wholly unrelated to this issue.

15 hours ago, Philip said:

Sadly, the bitter truth is that if you don’t get caught you didn’t do it. And if you DO get caught and you’re Bill Belichick you didn’t do it.

however the Houston/Sox guys got caught and must be punished.

What did Spock say?

” The condemned has his choice: death by phaser, death by hanging, death by firing squad…”

NohGs3g.gif

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

When the Astros trashcan beating scandal broke, I took the absolute silence from other teams (not players, teams) as an admission of guilt that they were doing illegal things, too.  

“It’s only cheating if you get caught.” Bobby The Brain Heenan 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

When the Astros trashcan beating scandal broke, I took the absolute silence from other teams (not players, teams) as an admission of guilt that they were doing illegal things, too.  

The Dodgers and Yankees have been very outspoken against the Astros as well as the Nationals. I am not sure where you have been.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Exactly, Elias was player development in the minor leagues, not major league team operations.

I am sure they were cheating in the minor leagues as well. How can you train your players to hit when they know what pitch is coming if you don't practice it in the minors.

I would say Astros GM and manager should be suspended for 3 years.  Lose first 3 draft picks this year and lose their International money for the season.

Red Sox what they did wasn't as bad but their manager was with the Astros as well. So he probably was double dipping. Give him 2 year suspension.  Gm 1 Year. Lose first round pick.  

23 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I thought teams and players were pretty vocal about it. I was actually kind of surprised with how candid some players were on the record.

My guess is Lunhow, Hinch, and Cora get suspensions, with a big fine for the Astros.

When things like this happen, I always wonder if the League knew what was going on, but turned their cheek because it was big market baseball and good for the money making.  I felt this way when the steroid scandals happened too, and also when the NBA ref got caught trying to fix games.  They just have to do a punishment for show.  Technically these major sports leagues are "Entertainment Companies" anyway which creates a grey area for the "rules."  I'm not saying its entertainment in the same capacity as WWE, but I think people get greedy and try to give the people what they want in order to make money.

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

When things like this happen, I always wonder if the League knew what was going on, but turned their cheek because it was big market baseball and good for the money making.  I felt this way when the steroid scandals happened too, and also when the NBA ref got caught trying to fix games.  They just have to do a punishment for show.  Technically these major sports leagues are "Entertainment Companies" anyway which creates a grey area for the "rules."  I'm not saying its entertainment in the same capacity as WWE, but I think people get greedy and try to give the people what they want in order to make money.

I think that MLB has to give the Astro's serious punishment for the very reason they want it to appear that it isn't the WWE.   And the biggest markets are the ones most upset in this situation.  Yankees and Dodgers fans are very angry. 

The Steroids were different because it was individual players cheating.  And it lead to increased home runs, hits and star players careers lasted longer.  That type of cheating is comparable to scuffing a ball or corking a bat.  Astros did organized cheating and even had the TV crews involved.   On TV I believe their is a 7 second delay for baseball.  The Astros got a feed without a delay.  So they had to have the TV crew install this.  It was an organizational cheating which allowed them to win the World Series.  They need to have the book thrown at them.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I thought teams and players were pretty vocal about it. I was actually kind of surprised with how candid some players were on the record.

My guess is Lunhow, Hinch, and Cora get suspensions, with a big fine for the Astros.

I think that’s fit punishment.