Adley Rutschman Gets Major League Camp Invite

LTO's

Interesting.  I'm 100% sure he doesn't make the team, but I'm sure the ML crew wants to get a nice look at him.  If he performs well, he could end up being one of the later cuts.  Being a college guy, you have to think they want him to hit the majors in 2021.  I can't see it being this year, even in September.

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

Interesting.  I'm 100% sure he doesn't make the team, but I'm sure the ML crew wants to get a nice look at him.  If he performs well, he could end up being one of the later cuts.  Being a college guy, you have to think they want him to hit the majors in 2021.  I can't see it being this year, even in September.

2020 wouldn't be unprecedented but 2021 would be expected.  If he isn't up by 2021 something went wrong.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s pretty typical for the team’s no. 1 pick to get a spring invite if he’s a high pick  ex-collegian.    Wieters and Gausman both did.   

The bold would seem like an argue not to invite Rutschman.   I am glad he has been invited though.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think being in ML camp hurt either one of them from a development standpoint?

On the other hand,  I don't see either one as a good reason to invite Rutschman.   The reason is to get him accustom to the major league personnel and environment.   That is true in spite for Wieters and Guasman not reaching their potential.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

On the other hand,  I don't see either one as a good reason to invite Rutschman.   The reason is to get him accustom to the major league personnel and environment.   That is true in spite for Wieters and Guasman not reaching their potential.

No one said it was.

I think part of the reason is that he's a catcher and they need a lot of catchers early in ST because of the amount of throwing.

• Upvote 1