Adley Rutschman Gets Major League Camp Invite

LTO's

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting him not to get promoted to AAA so they have a convenient excuse to game his service time in 2021.

I'm also expecting slightly disappointing numbers at the plate (relative to the hype). 

Is there a reason you'd want him on the team before the team is even remotely good though? I'm not for totally abusing his service time, but I definitely want to be efficient in terms of Years Of ML Adley to Years We're Good. 

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is there a reason you'd want him on the team before the team is even remotely good though? I'm not for totally abusing his service time, but I definitely want to be efficient in terms of Years Of ML Adley to Years We're Good. 

I've actually stated that in cases of actual top prospects I'm fine with gaming service time. 

Are you asking why I want 2021 and not 2022?  I'm not in favor of keeping anyone, especially a pitcher or catcher, rotting in the minors so they can be a year older when they make their ML debut.  If he's ready in 2021, which he should be, he should be up. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What are you brain trusts looking for out of Rutschman this year?  What are you expecting?

Just holding serve and looking as advertised.  No matter how dazzling the numbers, I think the Wieters Experience for most of us will stop anything Rutschman can do THIS YEAR from getting us too overexcited again.  Until/if he surpasses Wieters's MLB performance, it'll be tough to let go of that cautionary tale.

A Bowie dogpile with Rutschman/Rodriguez/Hall going all Posey/Cain/Bumgarner like even-year Giants on the 2020 Eastern League postseason would set the stage nicely for will we chase somebody a year too early ala 2020 Blue Jays Ryu or 2018 Padres Hosmer?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've actually stated that in cases of actual top prospects I'm fine with gaming service time. 

Are you asking why I want 2021 and not 2022?  I'm not in favor of keeping anyone, especially a pitcher or catcher, rotting in the minors so they can be a year older when they make their ML debut.  If he's ready in 2021, which he should be, he should be up. 

Yeah fair. If he's down there raking, it starts to really suck to leave him there. 

I'm pretty curious what his numbers will look like this year. I still have the Wieters fear a bit. It's not good enough to be simply "productive" like he was. That would be pretty significantly disappointing. 

He's gotta be Buster Posey, right?

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah fair. If he's down there raking, it starts to really suck to leave him there. 

I'm pretty curious what his numbers will look like this year. I still have the Wieters fear a bit. It's not good enough to be simply "productive" like he was. That would be pretty significantly disappointing. 

He's gotta be Buster Posey, right?

At this point I'm hoping he isn't Sanchez.

15 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You won't believe the amount of people who think this means he is breaking camp with the team...

The crazy part is that regardless of all of the talk about his needing time to learn the pitchers, how to better call games, etc., he's still liable to be the best catcher in this organization by a fair amount and that could become pretty clear to the brain trust when they're all in the same place during the spring. It makes me think that he'll be there, but he'll be playing in B games and catching a lot on the back fields.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting him not to get promoted to AAA so they have a convenient excuse to game his service time in 2021.

I'm also expecting slightly disappointing numbers at the plate (relative to the hype). 

So he’ll only hit .500/.700/.800?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

The crazy part is that regardless of all of the talk about his needing time to learn the pitchers, how to better call games, etc., he's still liable to be the best catcher in this organization by a fair amount and that could become pretty clear to the brain trust when they're all in the same place during the spring. It makes me think that he'll be there, but he'll be playing in B games and catching a lot on the back fields.

I'm pretty sure they already knew that, hence why he went #1 and is getting an invite in his first ever Spring Training.

Rutschman had a 594 OPS at Delmarva in a small number of at bats.    He has not even proven he can hit at that level yet.  He is still getting use to wooden bats IMO.     

I know most fans want Rutschman to begin the season at Frederick.  But I still think he has things to prove at Delmarva.

I hope he moves up fast but I think he should be given the opportunity to succeed at each level before moving up.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rutschman had a 594 OPS at Delmarva in a small number of at bats.    He has not even proven he can hit at that level yet.  He is still getting use to wooden bats IMO.     

I know most fans want Rutschman to begin the season at Frederick.  But I still think he has things to prove at Delmarva.

I hope he moves up fast but I think he should be given the opportunity to succeed at each level before moving up.

He certainly hasn't proven he can hit while recovering from mononucleosis.

• Upvote 1